Problems with Google Chrome

Started by Broadback, Oct 26, 2013, 11:26:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

Quote from: Gary on Nov 20, 2013, 12:02:45
Surprised the likes of Kaspersky didnt get it. Shows that AV comparative scores mean very little in real life. Actually it looks like Kaspersky removes it as well from what I just read but its very nasty. AVG looks pretty useless these days tbh
The test showed the parachute saved 100% of lives. Pity they never tested it against sharks!  :laugh:  ;D  ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Simon

Ben, I'd always understood SWIron to be a 'Google free Chrome'.  I don't know what Clive is on about, but that's nothing new!  :laugh:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

SWIron as I had seen it was Chrome without Googles constant phoning hone and half a dozen unneeded services operating in the background.  :dunno:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

Some ad blockers work that way, some work on the script.

Irrespective of what add ons we are referring to the fact remains if there are too many it will slow the operation of the browser because a lot of what I would refer to as cr*pware does both of the following:

Takes up screen area which the browser has to allocate during startup which slows down the startup
Calls out to remote servers to pull whatever to display (usually advertising graphics) but purports to do something useful such as provide a search function.

Website advertisements are usually there to help those running the site pay for the servers and bandwidth so I think it is legitimate.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Nov 24, 2013, 00:57:01

Website advertisements are usually there to help those running the site pay for the servers and bandwidth so I think it is legitimate.
I don't care if its legitimate or not its intrusive to me, oh and some run by proxy like admuncher. I find adblock plus increases browsing speed because the ads dont load, not even in the background, and with the privacy subscription being part of my installation nothing follows me from one website to another, and I can unblock sites of just pages at will if needed. Great ad on, and makes the internet clean and refreshingly neutral. If I want ads I'll start not recording my TV shows so I cant fast forward though them  ;)

pctech

Sadly servers, power and bandwidth don't come for free Gary so I side with the webmasters on this.

Here's a question for you, would you pay to access a lot of the information you use from the net on a daily basis?

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Nov 24, 2013, 22:21:45
Sadly servers, power and bandwidth don't come for free Gary so I side with the webmasters on this.

Here's a question for you, would you pay to access a lot of the information you use from the net on a daily basis?

Id pay to get rid of advertising, that's why I use pay version of apps so I don't see adverts within them where possible, Mitch.

Simon

Unless they're particularly intrusive, like those bloody floating popups, ads don't bother me all that much.  I don't think I'd pay not to see them.
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Nov 25, 2013, 00:48:12
Unless they're particularly intrusive, like those bloody floating popups, ads don't bother me all that much.  I don't think I'd pay not to see them.
Each to their own on this one, I hate all advertising even on TV so I'll happily pay not to have it. Its a blessing at xmas too I hate xmas ads the most  ;D

Simon

I couldn't live without the skip button, and haven't seen a TV advert for years!  ;D
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Quote from: pctech on Nov 24, 2013, 22:21:45

While fair enough, I'd sadly just not go on the site then. Stopped watching TV because it was all adds, and I did pay my license. Kept on for as long as I could for what was on the beeb, but even then it was not worth the money.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Nov 25, 2013, 09:12:36
I couldn't live without the skip button, and haven't seen a TV advert for years!  ;D
;D

pctech

I used to quite like the Hamlet, Tango and Dry Blackthorn ads.