Problems with Google Chrome

Started by Broadback, Oct 26, 2013, 11:26:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

Since yesterday (now have Windows 8.1 an use Chrome for browsing) when I open this web site after a couple of seconds the first column of the headers are replaced by a think balloon type of symbol. Any idea of the case and cure please?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Simon

It's most likely to be a local cache issue, as others haven't reported it.  Try clearing your cache and see if that helps. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Broadback

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Broadback

Simon

Simon.
--

Broadback

I'm sorry for the repost but I am just getting to the state thtI can type seasonably well.
when I download and run Chrome all is ok for a day or so, then I get this problem when opening IdNetters: The left hand column is just large blue "thought" bubbles. I have taken a screen shot but not sure if it attached here..
Secondly I get an awful lot of adverts, but worse still often when I click to a link in a page it opens a new page with an advert, often for a search engine, GRR :mad:
Any help appreciated

Simon

I've merged this with the other thread, BB.

All I can suggest is to try another browser.  I suggested this to someone the other day, and they seemed quite favourable towards it:

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php
Simon.
--

Clive

I once tried the browser Simon is suggesting but found it to be very invasive.  I uninstalled it within a day! 

Simon

Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Clive on Oct 31, 2013, 22:41:12
I once tried the browser Simon is suggesting but found it to be very invasive.  I uninstalled it within a day! 
Chrome without Google, thats pure heaven  ;D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Clive

Quote from: Simon on Oct 31, 2013, 22:51:21
More invasive than Google?  :laugh:

I don't have a problem with Google.   :angel:  Adblocker is your friend. 

Gary

Quote from: Clive on Nov 01, 2013, 07:31:14
I don't have a problem with Google.   :angel:  Adblocker is your friend. 
Does adblocker on Chrome have the privacy subscription as well to stop web bugs, tracking scripts and information collectors?

pctech

Or you could just clear your cookies on a regular basis, no bloatware needed.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Nov 01, 2013, 10:46:12
Or you could just clear your cookies on a regular basis, no bloatware needed.

Bloatware? The adblock plus  add on for firefox is pretty small and does not get in your face at all.  Its would be hard to empty cookies and block web bugs and scripts on the fly. Its not bloatware by any means. Same for the ones for Chrome and Safari, they are really useful and make the internet a ad free script invading nasty place slightly more bearable place. :)

pctech

I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of add ons Gary.

I have seen situations where the browser struggles to start because people have installed this or that to combat what they see as threats or annoyances such as advertising and have sometimes installed stuff inadvertently that injects advertising.

Good maintenance is better than software IMHO, the only stuff I have is Flash, Shockwave, the Netcraft toolbar, Java and Rapport purely so that if I ever have an issue with the bank they can see it was always present.

Clive

Quote from: Gary on Nov 01, 2013, 07:58:23
Does adblocker on Chrome have the privacy subscription as well to stop web bugs, tracking scripts and information collectors?

If you are worried about being tracked you can always open an incognito window in Chrome.   8-)

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Broadback on Oct 26, 2013, 11:26:30
Since yesterday (now have Windows 8.1 an use Chrome for browsing) when I open this web site after a couple of seconds the first column of the headers are replaced by a think balloon type of symbol. Any idea of the case and cure please?

Today I cleaned up two PCs that exhibited exactly the problem you've described. The cause is Trojan Horse Dropper generic8.CKIV which is a nightmare to get rid of. I had to clean both PCs manually which took me most of the day. The payload is really quite nasty and not limited to disabling your antivirus/firewall, disabling various system applications, deleting application data, destroys the registry and generally slows your system to a crawl. It also spams you with advertising and installs what I would assume to be additional malicious programs.

zap
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Nov 20, 2013, 00:35:45
Today I cleaned up two PCs that exhibited exactly the problem you've described. The cause is Trojan Horse Dropper generic8.CKIV which is a nightmare to get rid of. I had to clean both PCs manually which took me most of the day. The payload is really quite nasty and not limited to disabling your antivirus/firewall, disabling various system applications, deleting application data, destroys the registry and generally slows your system to a crawl. It also spams you with advertising and installs what I would assume to be additional malicious programs.

What AV were they using, Zap? I would have though a good AV with signatures and decent heuristics and self protection would help for a start.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Nov 01, 2013, 11:28:03

I have seen situations where the browser struggles to start because people have installed this or that to combat what they see as threats or annoyances such as advertising and have sometimes installed stuff inadvertently that injects advertising.

Good maintenance is better than software IMHO, the only stuff I have is Flash, Shockwave, the Netcraft toolbar, Java and Rapport purely so that if I ever have an issue with the bank they can see it was always present.

Mitch, I have to say adblocking is my first and only add on you, you actually  have more addons than I do. I would consider the JRE more of a security worry than a simple adblocker, which in many cases stops the invasive adds with malware on in the first place. Never seen a page I need Shockwave for in years hence I never install it. All I have is adblock plus, Flash (reluctantly) and quicktime as its on a Mac anyway.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Gary on Nov 20, 2013, 08:49:59
What AV were they using, Zap? I would have though a good AV with signatures and decent heuristics and self protection would help for a start.

MSE on both PCs. I did actually try to see if a number of leading antivirus products would deal with it but none would hence the manual removal. I have however now been told that BullGuard will recognise and remove it.
zap
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Nov 20, 2013, 11:11:16
MSE on both PCs. I did actually try to see if a number of leading antivirus products would deal with it but none would hence the manual removal. I have however now been told that BullGuard will recognise and remove it.
Surprised the likes of Kaspersky didnt get it. Shows that AV comparative scores mean very little in real life. Actually it looks like Kaspersky removes it as well from what I just read but its very nasty. AVG looks pretty useless these days tbh

Simon

Certainly with AVG Free, you get what you pay for. 
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Nov 20, 2013, 12:11:38
Certainly with AVG Free, you get what you pay for. 
Many of the paid ones wont get rid of it either it seems, Simon.  :eek4:

Technical Ben

Quote from: Clive on Oct 31, 2013, 22:41:12
s
I'm lost there. SWIron is Chrome without any invasive tracking. Have I been miss advised?

Quote from: pctech on Nov 01, 2013, 11:28:03

Good thing we're not talking about snake oil then. We are talking about spanners and proper tools. All an adblocker is is a whitelist/blacklist to advertising DNS/web addresses/IPS. There are multiple options (HOSTS file being the most basic, but needing more user knowhow, and Adblock software being the most automated). It's the difference between a macro app for file backup and a manual "copy paste". No bloatware at all, and the only addon that I use (so again not "overloading the PC")! :P

I'll not judge you, but I'd not use any of those addons except the required Flash and Java, cos sites insist. I'll not go into Rapport here (have other places). So again, it's tools for jobs and we all do different jobs, so need different tools. :)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.