BT Speedtester

Started by Trevor, Nov 14, 2013, 12:03:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Hi,
I've been having major slow speed issues for months now, on and off. I tried the link in the FAQs and Chrome couldn't find the page so I went to http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and managed to get one test to run successfully, all other attempts have failed at the upload test.
The results were:
Download Speed (Mbps) 0.09
Upload Speed (Mbps) 0.29
Ping Latency (ms) 48.63
Am I using the correct tester and if so, how do these figures look?
Out of pure frustration, I purchased a new router a few weeks ago and the problem still remains, using either router.
Thanks for any help.  :)

Steve

It's the correct test but with a terrible result, we need to see the adsl connection stats from your router/modem, if you can't retrieve them let us know the model and we should be able to tell you how.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Trevor

Hi Steve, thanks for replying. I'm not sure how to access the stats you refer to. My router is a TP-Link TD-W8970.

Gary

Quote from: Trevor on Nov 14, 2013, 12:46:23
Hi Steve, thanks for replying. I'm not sure how to access the stats you refer to. My router is a TP-Link TD-W8970.
[\quote]
You have to login to the routers interface It should be written on the router generally. Something like 192.168.1.1 or something similar,  you then enter the password and username. I would cheack what firmware you are running for this model as it has a web vulnerability where port 7547 which is used for CWMP is open by default, even if the settings are showing disabled. Firmware TD-W8970_V1_130415 fixes the W8970 open port problem.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Gary

Quote from: Trevor on Nov 14, 2013, 12:46:23

You have to login to the routers interface It should be written on the router generally. Something like 192.168.1.1 or something similar,  you then enter the password and username. I would check what firmware you are running for this model as it has a web vulnerability where port 7547 which is used for CWMP is open by default, even if the settings are showing disabled. Firmware TD-W8970_V1_130415 fixes the W8970 open port problem.

Trevor

Thanks Gary.
I hope these are the stats you require:

Steve

I see it's a very long line, the downstream margin has been elevated in to 2 steps to 12 worsening the situation. This is usually caused by noise or interference , have you changed the filter recently? Also have you checked the master socket for bell /ring wire only terminals 2 and 5 need to be connected. It's worth running the connection from the test socket to see if any improvement occurs if you please make a note of you router stats on reconnection. Lastly have you spoken to support recently and has any advice been offered?
Steve
------------

Gary

Also try try to keep cables away from sources of interference like other power cables, avoid using the flat telephone cable if you can as well. Your line is very long indeed. So speeds wont be great but if the snr rises as Steve said that will makes things worse. Ideally a old 2 wire router would be great on your line, or a router with a broadcom chipset as they handle longer lines better. Your router has a Trendchip/ralink chipset which is better suited to shorter faster lines.

Trevor

Thanks Steve and Gary for taking the time to help. We have always had a slowish connection, but it has got a lot worse recently. Can you suggest a router that would be better suited to my situation? Also any recommendations for a reliable microfilter? Those on Amazon seem to get very varied feedback.
Steve - no I haven't liked to trouble support up till now. Historically, they have always asked me to test the line with a different router and until recently I didn't have that option. We live in a remote crofting community and don't really know anyone who we could ask to borrow from.
Just out of interest, do you have any experience of satellite BB? We have just had some (albeit unsolicited) mail from Tooway (europasat) offering a special rate and I have been unable to find out much about it - Google has not been terribly helpful on this occasion! I am loathe to consider leaving IDNET as they have been great, but browsing and downloading are a real PITA now.
Many thanks again guys.  :)

Trevor

Steve, I have loked at the phone socket and terminals 3 and 4 also have wires in them. I think they may be for the extension sockets around the house.
I have just plugged the router into the test socket and am attaching the revised stats.
It is very difficult locating the router away from other power leads as the main phone socket is adjacent to my main desktop computer with 2 monitors etc. I have it about 6 feet away from there on top of a bureau alongside my printer.

Steve

It looks better already! Modern phones require only two wires connected at terminals 2 and 5. Your ring wire at 3 is almost certainly the cause of the problem, 4 is an earth I believe which is not required on modern telephony . You may wish to wait until you've got the special tool for re insertion of the the wires but providing your phones are not antiques I would recommend removing the wires at 3 and 4 from both the master socket and the extension sockets.
Steve
------------

Trevor

Thanks Steve. You're a star!  :thumb:

colirv

When I was having speed problems I did the disconnects mentioned above, but also fitted a Faceplate Adaptor, like this. It made a significant difference.
Colin

Gary

Quote from: Trevor on Nov 14, 2013, 17:39:28
Thanks Steve and Gary for taking the time to help. We have always had a slowish connection, but it has got a lot worse recently. Can you suggest a router that would be better suited to my situation?
Try a Billion 7800N, it has a Broadcom chipset which is much better on longer lines and its a very reliable router.

Trevor

Thanks Gary and Colin. Your help is much appreciated.  :)