My modem died, what to replace it with?

Started by adrinux, Oct 14, 2013, 00:25:39

Previous topic - Next topic

adrinux

Hello,

It seems my cheapo tp-link 8616 modem has died, no wonder my connection seemed flaky the last couple of days  :-\

Managed to get back online by putting my old Netgear DG834 v3 into modem only mode, but it seems to be limited to  8000ish kbps, even in ADSL2+ mode (something I've found mentioned elsewhere. the v4's are tweakable to faster speed but not my v3). Even the tp-link managed better than that (9000ish kbps).

Since I'm still perfectly happy with my OpenWRT enabled TP-Link WR1043ND router I'm looking to only replace the modem.
I can find loads of discussion about routers or modem routers, but little about pure ADSL2+ modems. Any suggestions? Leaning towards a D-Link DSL-320B, but wondering why the DrayTek Vigor 120 costs twice as much...

TIA

Steve

The  only modem I've used was the Draytek 120 on adslmax and was happy with it.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

adrinux

Yeah, reading around it seems the d-link 320b does some odd things, only runs half-bridged in bridged mode and is loaded down with router/firewall etc functionality I don't need. The vigor does seem to be highly regarded.

So now looking at fleabay where several Vigor 120s are available. Just somewhat reluctant to pay more for a simple modem than I paid for my wireless gigabit router :)

Gary

I just sold a Draytek Vigor 120 for £30. Typical. The Draytek is a very nice unit, simple and from my time with it reliable too. I cant say what its like for prolonged periods as I only needed it for a month of so as I now have fibre
Damned, if you do damned if you don't