Increasing consistent small packet loss

Started by joe, Dec 04, 2013, 13:02:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

Quote from: Gary on Mar 28, 2014, 09:41:51
Anyone else notice a drop in IDNet yesterday at 2PM Packetloss shows 100% so not quite sure what happened. Its shown very clearly on IDNets dedicated TBBQM. Its also on a few other peoples BBM that I can see.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-thumb/3e9f40bbdf719aef79db49d8d5f4522c.png

Yes I did Gary.

colirv

IDNet does an RSS feed just for status incidents. That's how I knew.
Colin

Bill

Quote from: colirv on Mar 28, 2014, 11:16:02
IDNet does an RSS feed just for status incidents. That's how I knew.

I knew because I was relaxing in an armchair listening to a Radio 3 stream and it suddenly went quiet!

Couldn't get anything to work, so rang support who told me there'd been an outage, and to call again if still offline after half an hour or so.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

mervl

Quote from: Bill on Mar 28, 2014, 12:22:44
I knew because I was relaxing in an armchair listening to a Radio 3 stream and it suddenly went quiet!

;D I just use FM. Better sound and never suffers with these problems.

Bill

Quote from: mervl on Mar 28, 2014, 19:57:39
;D I just use FM. Better sound and never suffers with these problems.

I'd prefer to, but FM reception here without an external aerial is rubbish and DAB is marginal... Radio 3 streams at 320Kbps so it's a lot better than you might expect compared to most.

(I stream it via iTunes where I can choose which stream I want, I find iPlayer has a habit of dropping back to the 48Kbps stream :( )
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

esh

All my packet loss has gone away again. Temporary congestion or something perhaps?
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011

Gary

Have to agree, things are flying along here and have been for a while, its great.  ;D
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

zappaDPJ

My connection is as dreadful as ever. I had one decent week after my congestion issue was mysteriously fixed and then my connection dropped...

That was around 10 days ago and it's been the same pattern of packet loss ever since...

zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Apr 13, 2014, 12:59:53
My connection is as dreadful as ever. I had one decent week after my congestion issue was mysteriously fixed and then my connection dropped...

That was around 10 days ago and it's been the same pattern of packet loss ever since...

That is awful, Zap. What have support said? Has to be local again though I would have thought  :( Could it be your router attributing to it? That packetloss is constant

zappaDPJ

To be honest I've given up on it so I haven't contacted support and probably won't bother. I rent an office and go there if I need to use the Internet for anything important. I only use this connection for streaming now and although I get the occasion buffering it seems to work most of time.

zap
--------------------

Technical Ben

Hmmm. My line is whisper quiet again (but with occasional small blips).
The only reason to get FFTC here would be for stream uploading. Packet loss would be a bit of a problem though. I'll have to think twice about it. :(
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Gary

Quote from: Technical Ben on Apr 13, 2014, 23:08:58
Hmmm. My line is whisper quiet again (but with occasional small blips).
The only reason to get FFTC here would be for stream uploading. Packet loss would be a bit of a problem though. I'll have to think twice about it. :(
Most people don't get packetloss at all, its only a few exchanges and maybe lines and possibly router issues. Mines fine now and has been for a while, the benefits out way any small chance of issues tbh. Its more stable than ADSL as well as far as DLM. I would never go back. Upstream has never been an issue either.

sobranie

My speed at the mo. is down from 75 to 7.

Red curtain has descended.

Now, what's the b....y excuse!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Speed down to 16Mbps here, guess I spoke to soon  :( Spoke to support who have no idea, they show under 50% utilisation on the network so god knows I'll go look at Zens fault page and AAISP's

Edit: Just checked a Zen one and it shows the same packetloss and a dropout too, so its not IDNet its external. BT playing up again it seems

sobranie

Slight improvement on speed at the mo.

jameshurrell

It's not all IDNet lines that are affected today: 2 out of the 3 I monitor have the red curtain. All different exchanges.

On the 2 other lines I monitor (BT Business and PlusNet) no sign of anything.

mervl

The IDNet line here has it, but not the non-IDNet connection. I note that A&A say "BT are actually providing more data now that shows where each circuit will use network components within their network" which is helping them correlate with congestion reports to try and "point BT in the right direction". Are IDNet doing the same, I hope?  :eyebrow:

Baz

Quote from: sobranie on Apr 14, 2014, 13:38:48
My speed at the mo. is down from 75 to 7.

Red curtain has descended.

Now, what's the b....y excuse!!!!!!!!!

mine down too and same red curtain at the same time.....I havent had it this bad before.

Quote from: Gary on Apr 14, 2014, 13:43:18
Edit: Just checked a Zen one and it shows the same packetloss and a dropout too, so its not IDNet its external. BT playing up again it seems

Strangely I was chatting with another ISP support over the weekend and they told me they havent had any notification from customers about packet loss issue on their service, so no we've had no bother...were his words.......Hmmmm makes me wonder now whether to go to a new provider or not, are they all the same and dont let on  :dunno:

Gary

Quote from: Baz on Apr 14, 2014, 15:14:51
mine down too and same red curtain at the same time.....I havent had it this bad before.

Strangely I was chatting with another ISP support over the weekend and they told me they havent had any notification from customers about packet loss issue on their service, so no we've had no bother...were his words.......Hmmmm makes me wonder now whether to go to a new provider or not, are they all the same and dont let on  :dunno:
A salesman will tell you just what you want to hear, until they have got you...always research and never just go with the blurb. As I said Zen were showing the same packet loss today, so god knows what it is but its not IDNets fault.

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Apr 14, 2014, 13:43:18
Speed down to 16Mbps here, guess I spoke to soon  :( Spoke to support who have no idea, they show under 50% utilisation on the network so god knows I'll go look at Zens fault page and AAISP's

My BQM by any chance ?

If it is, then yeah I'm getting the same problem since 9am and the drop was me turning the modem off to do something  ;D

Simon

Perhaps it's people downloading Game of Thrones?   :whistle:
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: psp83 on Apr 14, 2014, 15:24:10
My BQM by any chance ?

If it is, then yeah I'm getting the same problem since 9am and the drop was me turning the modem off to do something  ;D

It was indeed  ;D sh*t happens to all networks sometimes I'm sure it will be fine later (famous last words) ;)

Gary

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Apr 14, 2014, 15:26:57
It was indeed  ;D sh*t happens to all networks sometimes I'm sure it will be fine later (famous last words) ;)

It has to be a BT fault somewhere to cause issues to more than 1 ISP.

Zen has already checked my connection, did a line check and everything came back fine.

I've also allowed them to setup their own monitoring system / graph on my IP so they can trace anything..

esh

Back to dodginess again. Might have to get this looked at. It's bloody annoying.
CompuServe 28.8k/33.6k 1994-1998, BT 56k 1998-2001, NTL Cable 512k 2001-2004, 2x F2S 1M 2004-2008, IDNet 8M 2008 - LLU 11M 2011