Wireless Keyboards

Started by Lona, Dec 09, 2013, 18:25:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

Hubby wants to buy me a new wireless keyboard for Xmas.

The problem I have with keyboards is I always rub off the letters E,S,I and N for some reason.

I would like a key board where my long nails don't delete the writing on the keys.

At the moment I'm using a Logitech MX3000 which is a good enough keyboard but half the writing is rubbed off the keys.  I bought stickers on Ebay which lasted for a few months but they're rubbed off now as well.

Please some smart guy, don't suggest me cutting my nails as I'm not doing it. :P

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Tacitus

You could try this place as they do a whole range of keyboards.  Not particularly cheap though and not many wireless ones.

http://www.keyboardco.com

Baz

Ive never really been a fan of wireless ones as the batteries didnt seem to last long. Best keyboards ive had have always been Microsoft ones, sturdy, lay out that suits me. The problem you mention Lona woth the letters getting rubbed out I have only found one ones that I used to but from computer fairs...around £8 at the time so I guess cheap on both counts.

Gary

Quote from: Baz on Dec 09, 2013, 21:18:37
Ive never really been a fan of wireless ones as the batteries didnt seem to last long. Best keyboards ive had have always been Microsoft ones, sturdy, lay out that suits me. The problem you mention Lona woth the letters getting rubbed out I have only found one ones that I used to but from computer fairs...around £8 at the time so I guess cheap on both counts.
I had a realy expensive Microsoft wireless keyboard, over £120 and the keys rubbed off. It was a Microsoft entertainment 8000. Oddly my Macs wirless keyboard is great on batteries, two last about 6 months. Mouse just over a month. Using Sanyo eneloop rechargeable batteries means my costs are very low. Or buy 24 Duracell Ultras on Amazon for £10.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Lona

I've always bought Logitech keyboards and the one I'm using just now is around 6 years old.  The batteries last a very long time, much longer than the Lazer mouse I'm using which is also Logitech.

It's a great keyboard but the letters started rubbing off after a couple of months so maybe I should try a different make next time.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Clive

Wear gloves Lona ....wear gloves!   ;D

Lance

I normally use Microsoft keyboards as I find the key travel and positioning pretty much spot on for comfortable typing. I've never had an issue with keys rubbing off unlike the HP keyboard I use at work where the CTRL & S buttons are rubbing off!
Lance
_____

john

.... Please some smart guy, don't suggest me cutting my nails as I'm not doing it. :P

This Cherry DW 3000 may be suitable as it says 'The lasered lettering on the key caps is wear-resistant'.

(Or you could wear gloves  ;D)

Lona

Thanks John, just bought one now.  Got it from 7dayshop.com for 19.99. :)

Lona

Love my Cherry keyboard I got from Santa.  Easy to connect and very quiet to the touch.

JohnH

No surprise, they are made by English craftsmen

Lona

colirv

Love the gifs! I expect you've already done this, but make sure you have a working wired keyboard somewhere. Twice I've had a computer refuse to speak to a wireless keyboard when booting up. The only way round it was to retrieve the wired keyboard from the attic and use that.
Colin

pctech

Quote from: JohnH on Dec 26, 2013, 21:13:08
No surprise, they are made by English craftsmen

Too right  :england:

While Scotland has given us many good things they also gave us:

Gordon Brown
Alistair Darling
RBS

;D

zappaDPJ

Cherry or ZF Electronics GmbH in actual fact are a German company although the original founder, Walter Cherry, was an American :)
zap
--------------------

Lona

Quote from: colirv on Dec 27, 2013, 10:45:14
Love the gifs! I expect you've already done this, but make sure you have a working wired keyboard somewhere. Twice I've had a computer refuse to speak to a wireless keyboard when booting up. The only way round it was to retrieve the wired keyboard from the attic and use that.

I've always used wireless keyboards with no problems. :)

Lona

Quote from: pctech on Dec 27, 2013, 11:40:41
Too right  :england:

While Scotland has given us many good things they also gave us:

Gordon Brown
Alistair Darling
RBS

;D

There's not enough room to list all the Scottish inventors that enriched everybody's lives. :pipes:

JohnH

Scotland's greatest contribution to world cuisine in recent years has been the deep fried battered Mars bar.  ;D

Technical Ben

Quote from: Lona on Dec 27, 2013, 20:18:51
I've always used wireless keyboards with no problems. :)
It's only for the occasional "press F1 to continue" requests on booting a PC. Left hand not knowing what the right is doing, and sometimes a wireless cannot "speak" to the PC. But vary rare (but common for us who get lumped with many to repair! :D ) :P
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

One of the versions of Gigabyte's BIOS for my motherboard didn't enable the USB controller after it restarted the machine so thankfully I had retained a USB to PS/2 converter so I could plug the USB keyboard into that to regain control of my system.

I had a wireless mouse at work (a logitech) that ate batteries at a rate of about a set of two every two weeks which is probably understandable as the PC is the main tool of my trade but I got so fed up of having to fetch batteries for the damn thing I ended up swapping it for a wired USB one which was connected to one of our test PCs.

Technical Ben

Oh, don't get me started on cordless mice! One of my recent previous jobs, where everything seemed to be my fault. Like the mouse not working... "Works when I use it" was the excuse. Constantly dropping out. The receiver was too far away. Still got a look of "what are you doing, it's in the right place already!" when I moved it. But worked perfectly after that.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Know the feeling well Ben.