Sky Broadband

Started by Lona, Dec 12, 2013, 18:37:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

Also, not everyone has the nice new Sky boxes, some have the old ones. (Gah, that is like watching treacle. :D )
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

zappaDPJ

We've just ditched everything Sky except we have retained the cheapest channel package, very heavily subsidised. As part of the agreement Sky sent me a new Sky+HD box to replace the one we had (same unit). The old unit had a tendency to lock up every now again, hence the replacement. What surprised me having just installed the new box is the difference in picture quality and a few other factors that I'd always attributed to our ageing TV. We used to get really bad menu bleed through which has now disappeared. After selecting a channel the Sky menu was often still visible half an hour later but that is no longer the case.

The contrast is also considerably better. I can now actually see what's happening in dark scenes without the need to burn my eyes out during bright scenes. One other odd thing that has completely disappeared is we used to get what I'd describe as fuzzy banding. Feint, irregular dark bands running from top to bottom of the screen. I thought it was dust sandwiched between the glass and the screen but apparently that was attributable to the old Sky box as well.

So two boxes, two widely differing picture qualities, the only difference being one is around 2-3 years old.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Must admit I'm very pleased with our 2TB one year old Sky box.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

I guess they probably refine these boxes over time but retain the same outward appearance. Or maybe we just had a defective box :dunno: Either way the picture quality is almost good enough to tempt me to watch TV. Almost but not quite ;D
zap
--------------------

Lona

Quote from: pctech on Dec 15, 2013, 21:41:55
I asked about ADSL as was looking to go back if the TTB connection didn't work out for me and was informed that ADSL would be provided from their own kit in my case.

If you would be kind enough to post the exchange name Lona or PM with it I'd be happy to try and clarify the situation with Zen for you.

My exchange is Beith, Ayrshire

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Lance

Zap, did you use the same cable with both boxes?
Lance
_____

zappaDPJ

I did. Lazy me just pulled the box forward, disconnected everything and shoved it all into the new box. The truly amazing thing is she that must be obeyed thinks it's a revelation. She's been banging on all night about how improved the picture is and this is coming from someone that can barely tell the difference between a 9" 1950's B&W set and and £30,000 65" 4K Ultra HD TV.
zap
--------------------

pctech

Hi Lona

I'll find out for you.

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Dec 18, 2013, 16:46:57
Must admit I'm very pleased with our 2TB one year old Sky box.
I had a 1.5TB box, it was over 3 years old and the Ethernet port died, it didnt much like the sky mini wireless connector either which plugs into the USB port on the back. They gave me a new 2Tb box with built in wifi, which uses the 5GHz spectrum and tht means I can download large HD films in next to no time over my fibre connection. These boxes look much nicer than the original ones as well. `

As to cables a HDMI is a digital cable people who pay £80 upwards are mugs, apart from build quality all the rubbish spouted by companies like Ixos and Monster annoy the hell out of me, its either on or off its not analogue, so why spend silly money it wont make the picture better. People went and and bought HDMI 1.4 for 3D but HDMI 1.3 works and hardly anyone needs the auto return abilities of 1.4 anyway. Once again marketing hype to make you open your wallet/Purse.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

Totally agree on the cable pricing Gary.

I bought an IXOS Euro AV (Scart) lead some years ago in the hope it would solve an issue I had with the sound dropping  out sometimes on the DVD player I had because it had gold plated connectors and was better build quality but it didn't and I just ended up 20 quid lighter.

HDMI is a far better connector than Scart ever was in my opinion.

Simon

Scart was a bloody nightmare!  It did make a difference with those as to the price and quality of the cables.  I lost count of how many times I replaced cables that kept falling out, or having bent pins.  I still didn't go mad with expensive ones, but I did find some that were about £20 each, and actually had a little ridge along the edge of the connector, which stopped them falling out.
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Yep, the problem with scart was the connectors being wobbly and not actually connecting (or the whole scart falling out!). I guess the design of the HDMI cable means you have to try very hard to get it wrong. :P
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.