Sky Broadband

Started by Lona, Dec 12, 2013, 18:37:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

I've just had a call from Sky offering me Sky Broadband with fibre connection.  I argued with the guy that fibre wasn't available in my area but he assured me it was.  I did a check on Sky's website and sure enough it said I could have fibre.

My question is why can Idnet not provide fibre in my area?

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Steve

It's quite simple one of them is incorrect, unless of course it's just been enabled recently. There's no such thing yet as unbundled FTTC, it's OpenReach supplying all providers.

What does the BT website give as your options?
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lona

Quote from: Steve on Dec 12, 2013, 18:43:04
It's quite simple one of them is incorrect, unless of course it's just been enabled recently. There's no such thing yet as unbundled FTTC, it's OpenReach supplying all providers.

What does the BT website give as your options?

I've just gone into IDnet website and it seems I can now have fibre up to 38mb for £27 per month.  I think I'll pass ;)

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Lona

I'm even more confused now.  Zen state that fibre is not available in my area yet Openreach says it is.  Other isps that I have checked some say I can have it, others say I can't.  Who's right?

Steve

I think if OpenReach say it's available then that should be correct , it possibly depends where  the other ISPs search for their information and whether it's up to date. The BT 'check your speed' was correct for me within a day of FTTC activation at my local street cabinet.

Edit: just checked on BT and it now says it's not available for my line or Postcode- I've had FTTC now for 2 years. :slap:
Steve
------------

Lona

kinmel

BT claim this DSL checker   - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput - is always correct and on 1/7/13 it changed to show FTTC available for me and I was able to place an order with Sky on the same day.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Lona

Thanks Alan.  My postcode checked out as being available.

Can I ask what you think of Sky as my niece has it down in Wales and says it's not a very good service.

Steve

Is your niece on FTTC?
Steve
------------

kinmel

Quote from: Lona on Dec 15, 2013, 12:55:17
Thanks Alan.  My postcode checked out as being available.

Can I ask what you think of Sky as my niece has it down in Wales and says it's not a very good service.

There are areas where Sky is apparently having problems keeping up with demands for bandwidth.  Here I have truly unlimited FTTC with no issues and with Sky offering so many new services through broadband I am sure I use a lot of bandwidth, now I no longer keep a check.

Sky Customer Service, especially for FTTC is excellent, they offer 24/7 knowledgeable support and as a big ISP and they seem to have clout with BT.  When there is a fault Sky happily keep sending the BT engineers back time and again and there is never any question of having to pay if no fault is found.  If Sky's system sees the fault then it is BT's problem.  They operate just like AAISP and closely monitor their systems.

In the past I always agreed that paying extra for a good ISP was worth the money; Zen, IDNet, AAISP and others provided excellent service, but now in my opinion they are too small to have the clout customers expect. Some cheaper ISPs now offer a better service.

During last week's floods in this area 3km of railway track and cableducts were washed away and local Sky customers lost all fibre services. Openreach worked through Friday night, all of Saturday and the service came back on in the early hours of Sunday morning.  Apparently BT do work at weekends for some ISPs.

I have no hesitation recommending Sky for any of their services, they have invested a lot of money in infrastructure and staff training, only people who have not experienced them in the last few years are hesitant.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Lona

Thanks Alan.  I will have to give it some thought. Thing is I've paid my line rental a year in advance to BT and am I right in saying that you have to take Sky phone service to receive the full benefit.?

pctech

Zen have started to put their own kit in exchanges to provide ADSL, FTTC and Ethernet for businesses.

It's possible they haven't reached your exchange yet.

Steve

Are you sure FTTC has been unbundled?
Steve
------------

kinmel

Quote from: Lona on Dec 15, 2013, 18:38:46
Thing is I've paid my line rental a year in advance to BT and am I right in saying that you have to take Sky phone service to receive the full benefit.?

Yes, Sky Fibre Unlimited ( £20 per month ) requires you to have Sky line rental at £15.40 per month and it seems all ISPs have a 12 month contract for Fibre.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

pctech

Quote from: Steve on Dec 15, 2013, 21:08:54
Are you sure FTTC has been unbundled?

I asked about ADSL as was looking to go back if the TTB connection didn't work out for me and was informed that ADSL would be provided from their own kit in my case.

If you would be kind enough to post the exchange name Lona or PM with it I'd be happy to try and clarify the situation with Zen for you.

I suspect you maybe right Steve.

Simon

So, Sky is actually £35.40 per month, with the required phone line rental, yes?  Does that include VAT?
Simon.
--

kinmel

Quote from: Simon on Dec 15, 2013, 22:39:44
So, Sky is actually £35.40 per month, with the required phone line rental, yes?  Does that include VAT?

The price includes VAT,  BT's equivalent package is £38.45, not sure if that includes VAT, but I would assume so, it's a retail product.
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

Steve

I suppose BT is the cheapest if you want BT sports as well as Sky sports.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Dec 16, 2013, 07:17:32
I suppose BT is the cheapest if you want BT sports as well as Sky sports.
Thier DNS lookups for overseas websites can be painfully slow though, my mothers set up with the whizzflop box they gave her to record TV and sky and BT sports (skys box is so much better) just brings her line to a standstill, it does not like homeplugs (BT installed them) which means nasty lengths of Ethernet cable. Homplugs just choke on the volume of data 24/7 and dont always get on with FTTC anyway as they use similar frequencies as vDSL so can reduce speeds.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Steve

I assumed Gary that if your were a BT customer you could use our Sky box to access BT Sports? Anyways I'm trying to save money,not increase my outlays but it would have been good for me to watch City beat Arsenal.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Dec 16, 2013, 09:15:30
I assumed Gary that if your were a BT customer you could use our Sky box to access BT Sports? Anyways I'm trying to save money,not increase my outlays but it would have been good for me to watch City beat Arsenal.
You probably can, Steve. I don't watch any sports myself and dont like football so have no interest in the changes that occur with BT/Sky sports tbh. If you are a sports kind of person its a good deal though. I was mentioning the BT/Freeview PVR box simply because my mother does not have sky, and its bladdy awful piece of home entertainment technology/ I never have used a device that lags so much in my life, you could have a three course dinner between button presses, unless it crashes then all hell breaks loose and you have to talk to India which can result in premature baldness from the constant tearing of ones hair out at their ineptitude in dealing with simple requests ;)

kinmel

Quote from: Gary on Dec 16, 2013, 09:45:17
my mother does not have sky, and its bladdy awful piece of home entertainment technology/ I never have used a device that lags so much in my life, you could have a three course dinner between button presses, unless it crashes then all hell breaks loose and you have to talk to India which can result in premature baldness from the constant tearing of ones hair out at their ineptitude in dealing with simple requests ;)

I am not sure the last time you experienced Sky, but the modern HD Sky+ box is considered by experts to be the best PVR available.  All Sky support is now UK based and is award winning too. 

You need to try it's current offering before condemning it.

Sky manage to convince a lot of people to voluntarily pay good money for their services - 10.5million TV subscribers, over 5million broadband and 4.7million telephone.  I doubt the BBC could find many more voluntary subscribers if the TV Owners Tax was abolished.

Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

mervl

I'm not sure it's really that easy to tell one mass-produced piece of Chinese plastic from another. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What does grate me with Sky is their hype - everything is sensational, even the cr8p. But they invest where it matters, in the technology. I've dealt with a fair few Murdoch org staff and always found them helpful, but it always depends on whether they can do what you want. The Empire is a good commercial outfit - which is a problem for those who don't like its commercial approach or if their rules don't suit.

pctech

I have to agree,

I take out a Now TV day pass when there's something on sports I want to watch.

Only other thing appealing to me are the Discovery and Nat Geo Channels as I'm a bit of a factual programming junkie I have to say.

Gary

Quote from: kinmel on Dec 16, 2013, 14:03:39
I am not sure the last time you experienced Sky, but the modern HD Sky+ box is considered by experts to be the best PVR available.  All Sky support is now UK based and is award winning too. 

You need to try it's current offering before condemning it.

Sky manage to convince a lot of people to voluntarily pay good money for their services - 10.5million TV subscribers, over 5million broadband and 4.7million telephone.  I doubt the BBC could find many more voluntary subscribers if the TV Owners Tax was abolished.

Im not sure the last time you read a post properly, I was taking about the BT box, not the sky PVR. I have a 2TB wifi sky box (brand new) and its a brilliant piece of kit compared to the awful thing that BT give its users.  ::) No not all sky support is UK based, Sky TV is based in India as well, and they are awful, they put the phone down when they don't know what to do, Sky apologised for that hence the new box.

As to award winning, what award is it is it could be Sky's own award, which then means absolutely nothing. I could say I have award winning support, but that award could be from my wife and be for supporting her iPhone, its all meaningless drivel to sell a product by hooking people with marketing terminology that really means b*gger all in reality