cost of broadband

Started by kwickstart, Dec 12, 2013, 00:53:18

Previous topic - Next topic

kwickstart

I have a question to anyone with idnet.With the introduction of all these new smart consoles internet TV streaming services etc etc how come idnet is one of the most expensive per GB used i am seriously thinking of changing my provider as if i was to go unlimited with idnet the cost would be over £80 per month and that is not including the telephone line rental side of the deal maybe Idnet should get with the program and reassess their pricing structure as nearly all the broadband providers give unlimited no capping no traffic shaping (due to online gaming and demand TV streaming downloading of music and movies etc etc)
I have 3 sons with games consoles laptops tablets and smart TV with full internet access used to download TV programs that we miss or and catchup TV we are limited to 100GB per month =3.22GB a day doesn't take long to use there are some times we actually have to turn the internet off. surely if other providers can give unlimited for a cheaper price then Idnet can too.

colirv

It's not just about bandwidth, it's about latency, contention (speed), reliability and customer service - all of which come at a cost.
Colin

Tacitus

Quote from: colirv on Dec 12, 2013, 01:20:03
It's not just about bandwidth, it's about latency, contention (speed), reliability and customer service - all of which come at a cost.

Not even that.  The really big providers such as BT, Sky etc are able to cross subsidise from their other products and income streams.  Smaller providers such as iDNet, AAISP, Timico etc are aimed more at the business market where quality of service, support, and reliability are worth a premium.  It's noticeable that these smaller providers are moving towards integrated services such as VoIP, hosting and cloud services.  For example see Timico's VoIP app for iPhone and Android - a product aimed squarely at the business market.  Development of these apps doesn't come cheap.

With the possible exception of hosting, none of these are consumer products; even then care will be taken not to overload the servers in order to achieve maximum reliability rather than take a pile it high sell it cheap approach to appeal to the consumer for whom price trumps all other factors.

Fortunately the development of the broadband market has resulted in a broad spread of suppliers, so there is plenty of opportunity to find one that fulfils the OP's needs.