Internet Filters

Started by Tacitus, Jan 03, 2014, 08:58:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Quote from: Lona on Jan 04, 2014, 18:16:14
I agree with a lot that has been said here and yes, Facebook could be a really good way of keeping in touch with Family.  The objections I have to it is the fact it is not monitored like this forum is for example.  What would it be like on this forum if folk could type whatever they wanted to bully and abuse people.

When I said filter Facebook and Twitter I meant just that. To stop some of the things that happen regarding bullying and filth being typed.
I think you read to much into what the papers have to say, Lona. I see no 'filth' which in itself is subjective, and have never been bullied, I have a circle of friends, I have never been bullied within that circle by my friends freinds because I choose my friends carefully to people I know I don't collect thousands of people on facebook, just real life friends. I don't have the thing set to public and in that respect it operates like a small forum of like minded people, yes discussions can be more heated as others friends join in, but if it gets a bit flamy you can just dial someone out and never see them again. Its self moderating and you are the person that has that decision.

If you are dumb enough to post publicly to the whole of facebook yes maybe it will get picked up, but you can even limit each post to certain friends only, setting up facebook to get the settings set up of as much privacy as you can ever expect on facebook is easy, Sophos has a page to show people how to do that (not that its complicated) and Bitdefender has a app to scan your thread and others for dumb little scams and spam etc just like on the internet at large really. Twitter is much the same you can be public or private, I have public blog, but if you are dumb enough to say something hate/race inspired or libellous you get you just deserts.

I feel the biggest blot on society is ignorance tbh, which these days seems to come from believing everything you read in the cheap rags. They are designed to get people believe some absolute rubbish tbh. The Daily Mail being a prime example which is run by a Tory millionaire, posting exactly the rubbish the Tory's want people to read and then get enraged about. Generally with no further knowledge on the subject because they think what they read is gospel. Every Newspaper is tainted to one party and spews that political parties rubbish out to get the votes it wants.

If you think what is typed on this forum is not 'monitored' then you would have to be very naive, every email every text every phone call can be listened in to or read, most of the time they never are as they are just boring, but there is no such thing as privacy on the internet and its getting worse, when as seen recently products from Amazon have been intercepted by GCHQ/NSA and have had added extras put in to monitor individuals. Now that is something to worry about far more than facebook or twitter...
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

cavillas

I have no objection to my private messages on facebook being monitored, after all they are full of banality and rubbish and as far as targeted adverts, I ignore all adverts on the interne anyway.  As far as bullying etc. goes, most is done vie schoolchildren and even they can be filters out by the person receiving the rubbish, you don't have to accept anything online if you don't want to.  Too many people are making too much of a fuss over things that can already be  addressed.
------
Alf :)

Lona

I am neither dumb, naive nor ignorant regarding Facebook, Gary.  I have my page set to only me can view.

Perhaps, you don't come into contact with very young teenagers and at the moment I am looking into posts on Facebook for a friend who does not have a computer, as her grandson is being ridiculed by many.  Teenagers can be cruel and find it difficult to ignore vile remarks typed in Facebook for the world to read.

You must think I sit at home doing my knitting. If you did your research better, you would be able to see some real shocking things that go on in Facebook but nobody seems to do anything about it.

It's all very nicey nicey for folk like you who only chat to your friends and family but there's a darker side to Facebook which needs addressing.

I'm thinking of changing my name to Lona Mary Whitehouse. 8-)

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Lona

Quote from: cavillas on Jan 05, 2014, 12:01:50
I have no objection to my private messages on facebook being monitored, after all they are full of banality and rubbish and as far as targeted adverts, I ignore all adverts on the interne anyway.  As far as bullying etc. goes, most is done vie schoolchildren and even they can be filters out by the person receiving the rubbish, you don't have to accept anything online if you don't want to.  Too many people are making too much of a fuss over things that can already be  addressed.

I agree totally but where kids are concerned it can carry over to the playground and their lives can really be affected by it.  When I was at school and had to read what other kids were saying about me it would be devastating.  I also blame the parents for allowing some of the things that go on in Facebook.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

mervl

More optional regulation in the politicians' never-ending quest to make us good. In our consumerist society we just pick and choose what laws to obey anyway. Bullying though has always been endemic; for all of us it's the most popular way of getting what we want and winning an argument. We forget that it's a sign of weakness, not strength. Ignore them and make the bully face up to what they cannot face: their own inadequacy. But that won't happen, and nor can the bully do without the approval they need from others. I don't think cyberbullying is any worse, it's just that the internet is the natural home for cowards. And marvellous how the politicians answer to bullying is to do the bullying themselves. Unfortunately kids suffer, they always have; I think that all of us adults have to ask ourselves the question why that's the sort of world we create for them. It's not someone else's problem.  :evil:

pctech

Quote from: Lona on Jan 05, 2014, 17:35:16
I agree totally but where kids are concerned it can carry over to the playground and their lives can really be affected by it.  When I was at school and had to read what other kids were saying about me it would be devastating.  I also blame the parents for allowing some of the things that go on in Facebook.

Kids should not be on Facebook.

Lona

Quote from: pctech on Jan 05, 2014, 18:21:28
Kids should not be on Facebook.

Totally agree, I just wish there was a way to keep them out.

Simon

Why not?  That's like saying they shouldn't go outdoors.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lona

Quote from: Simon on Jan 05, 2014, 18:24:06
Why not?  That's like saying they shouldn't go outdoors.

They don't go outdoors now, Simon, they're too busy typing filth on Facebook. :evil:

Simon

Simon.
--

pctech

Not really the same.

Nice idea but alas open to abuse.

Baz

Kids on facebook?    what age are they kids?

How can you blame the parents Lona....they cant sit over the kids all the time.If they dont see it on internet they will see it out side or TV. Its an unfortunate part of life now isnt it

Gary

Quote from: Lona on Jan 05, 2014, 18:26:45
They don't go outdoors now, Simon, they're too busy typing filth on Facebook. :evil:
Define filth? Oh and in terms that apply to this century please... :evil:

Gary

Quote from: Lona on Jan 05, 2014, 17:29:13
I am neither dumb, naive nor ignorant regarding Facebook, Gary.  I have my page set to only me can view.

Perhaps, you don't come into contact with very young teenagers and at the moment I am looking into posts on Facebook for a friend who does not have a computer, as her grandson is being ridiculed by many.  Teenagers can be cruel and find it difficult to ignore vile remarks typed in Facebook for the world to read.

You must think I sit at home doing my knitting. If you did your research better, you would be able to see some real shocking things that go on in Facebook but nobody seems to do anything about it.

It's all very nicey nicey for folk like you who only chat to your friends and family but there's a darker side to Facebook which needs addressing.

I'm thinking of changing my name to Lona Mary Whitehouse. 8-)
I didn't say you were dumb no idea why you thought you were. I have a wife that nanny's so I come into contact with children on Facebook via her page alot actually. I don't see any of what you are taking about. Its alot of  fear mongering again from the daily rags. Yes cyber bulling can occur, and that needs to be stepped on I agree, but common sense is not hard to come buy and all the teens I see on Justina's pages are all having fun and nothing bad is going on and no so called 'filth' what ever that may be. The media focuses on something to sensationalise it and sell its rotten pages, causing some parents it seems to go into a spiral of panic thats just not warranted.  If these parents actually did some real research and didn't read this one sided rubbish that might help. Becoming the modern version of Mary Whitehouse, Lona is not the answer, she was despised for good reason...

Technical Ben

Quote from: Lona on Jan 05, 2014, 18:22:56
Totally agree, I just wish there was a way to keep them out.
I'd take the phone and PC off. It's hard, but it's right. I've got friends that do. The kids don't get mobiles till their old enough. They don't get unrestricted access to the PC. Their the most polite and kind kids ever. Some get to use Facebook to talk to friends, supervised (only friends/family, anyone who would be abusive would get blocked). Alternatively, I do know of some who get anything and everything they ask for. From the games consoles their behavior plummeted, thankfully not to anything beyond normal teenagers. But still, they "imitated" the people they were playing with/against in the games. They did not learn good examples, but the one or 2 bad ones that made the most noise. :/

In reality, yes, tools are dangerous. This is true for all of them. We can complain spray paint is dangerous, or methylene spirits. But as a kid I used airfix and painted/cleaned the models. Unlike the horror stories of others taking on chemical abuse. So, we could demonize the tools, or we could help young ones avoid the dangerous ones (saws, chemicals, knifes and the internet) until they know how to use them well.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Lona

Well said Ben.  It makes sense to limit who our kids talk to on Facebook and other interactive websites.

Gary, you should come up to Scotland  :o.  I could give you a few Facebook names and it would change your mind about what young folk put up on their pages.

Technical Ben

When it comes to online bullying though, there is no better "cure" then people knowing they can leave. I've left gaming forums etc in the past, as it's just not worth it. Unlike face to face bullying, at least online we can choose who we interact with (less so at school/work etc).

With that in mind, even the telephone becomes harder to prevent bullying through. But what people fail to see, is that the facebook/internet forum they are using becomes a "need" that they don't realize they can leave if bullying appears. :(
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Den

If everybody could be trusted to behave properly then Facebook would be great but sadly some people don't know how to behave and only know how to bully when hiding behind Facebook therefore are cowards. I registered on Facebook as I required to be able to contact someone who had gone missing but I get fed up with all the requests to be a friend from people who I do not know just because they are friends with someone who I know slightly. Imagine my surprise when I had a automatic request from my ex-wife.

I assume Gary that you don't vote Tory as you always have a go at the Mail and never at the Mirror or the Sun or is that just me jumping to conclusions again.  >:D I only read the newspapers on the internet and never buy them and therefore tend to read them all (except the Times and the Sun as you have to pay now) so my tastes vary quite a bit.  :D ;)
Mr Music Man.

pctech

Anyone sensible avoids the mail :out:

colirv

Most newspapers aim at a particular subset of the population, including the Mirror and the Sun. The Daily Mail, however, is in a class of its own when it comes to distortion and the invention of "news". I think even Tories recognise that!
Colin

Simon

The Daily Express seems to be in a class of it's own too these days, especially when scaremongering about the weather!
Simon.
--

Den

I like to read The Sun so that I can keep abreast of the news.  :angel:  The weather reports in the Express are something to behold indeed. The Mirror is in a class of it's own for publishing rubbish about so called famous people. I think the best way is to look at them all on the internet and try to wade through to the truth.  ::)
Mr Music Man.

Lona

I get the Daily Record which is a Scottish paper and all they ever do is knock Alec Salmond.

talos

I would read them all, but believe none of them.  Like all people they all have their own agenda.

mungo

I like to read The Sun so that I can keep abreast of the breasts.  ;)