ADSL2+ Modem Router

Started by camdave, Jan 14, 2014, 11:28:27

Previous topic - Next topic

camdave

I bought a TP-Link TD-W8960N modem router about 18 months ago to set up a wireless connection for our three computers. I tried various positions (no jokes please!) and obtained a satisfactory signal to all rooms in the house.

It has been in its current position for about three months with no problems until a couple of weeks ago when we started to lose the connection randomly for perhaps a few minutes and then it re-connected.

My gut feeling is that it might be easier to buy a replacement and try that. So, my question is given that reviews on Amazon for TP-Link and Netgear for example seem to vary from 'DO NOT BUY THIS RUBBISH' to 'Fantastic bit of kit' can someone suggest a 'best buy' for a simple modem router at reasonable cost. I note that in an earlier thread Asus was mentioned but they appear to be quite pricey.

MisterW

QuoteIt has been in its current position for about three months with no problems until a couple of weeks ago when we started to lose the connection randomly for perhaps a few minutes and then it re-connected.
Have you checked that it's not been caused by another router in the vicinity starting to use the same channel ? Changing you channel may give an improvement.

Steve

I agree with MisterW as the likely cause, if it isn't fleabay maybe worth a look for a secondhand Billion 7800N. I use an Asus RT N66U WiFi is good.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

My one and only criticism of the Billion 7800N is in the design, as you can't stand it vertically, so it needs to be on a flat surface or screwed to a wall.  If you don't have a lot of desk space, or a shelf wide enough to accommodate the cables, that could mean lots of holes if you're moving it about! 
Simon.
--

Gary

The 7800N is getting long in the tooth now, the chipset is old and even though it can be used with FTTC it has not get a cpu with enough grunt to cope with a lot of use with wireless clients at those speeds. There are now better routers out there from Billion and other vendors like Asus.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Lance

Quote from: Gary on Jan 15, 2014, 09:10:29
The 7800N is getting long in the tooth now, the chipset is old and even though it can be used with FTTC it has not get a cpu with enough grunt to cope with a lot of use with wireless clients at those speeds. There are now better routers out there from Billion and other vendors like Asus.

Can't say I've experienced any issues with my 7800n even when having multiple devices connected both via wireless and cable. I always have my mail server connected via cable, and often there can be up to 5 wireless devices and another couple of cabled devices (not all used at the same time). The wireless devices can be heavily used at the same time without issue.

I'm not doubting there are better devices out there (of course there is) but for the vast majority of people a 7800n is more than adequate.
Lance
_____

Gary

Quote from: Lance on Jan 15, 2014, 09:44:25
Can't say I've experienced any issues with my 7800n even when having multiple devices connected both via wireless and cable. I always have my mail server connected via cable, and often there can be up to 5 wireless devices and another couple of cabled devices (not all used at the same time). The wireless devices can be heavily used at the same time without issue.

I'm not doubting there are better devices out there (of course there is) but for the vast majority of people a 7800n is more than adequate.
The available ram and speed of CPU make alot of difference, with homes with larger families with multiple devices all using the connection a few people on some forums are now finding the unit chokes, newer routers first off now have 802.ac but more importantly have more much ram and much faster CPU's and better chip sets, so handling the requests from say 15 devices is not an issue. The 7800N is a great router, but as I said its getting old and buying one now would I think be a mistake compared with the newer equipment available, especially if you stream HD films for instance to multiple devices as many people do now.  :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

I don't know many households where there would be 15 wireless devices on the go at once!  Just because there's newer available, doesn't automatically render the old as useless.  The 7800N is easily the best router I've used, for speed, stability and wireless capability, and for my usage, I see no reason to upgrade. 
Simon.
--

camdave

Thanks for suggestion re. changing channels, I will give that a go.