Two modems at once.

Started by ianp2312, Feb 02, 2014, 19:26:25

Previous topic - Next topic

ianp2312

I have wi-fi in my house via a wi-fi modem. The wi-fi is heavily used by a desktop computer, two laptops and some smartphones.  The wi-fi link is a bit erratic, especially when it is being heavily used. I'd like a more reliable, dedicated, wired (ethernet) link to a proposed new computer upstairs. So, can I sensibly connect another (wired) modem/router to the separate new computer where, as luck would have it, there is an additional BT phone socket?

Simon

:welc: :karma:

Someone will come back to you on that.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: ianp2312 on Feb 02, 2014, 19:26:25
I have wi-fi in my house via a wi-fi modem. The wi-fi is heavily used by a desktop computer, two laptops and some smartphones.  The wi-fi link is a bit erratic, especially when it is being heavily used. I'd like a more reliable, dedicated, wired (ethernet) link to a proposed new computer upstairs. So, can I sensibly connect another (wired) modem/router to the separate new computer where, as luck would have it, there is an additional BT phone socket?
You would be better off using Homeplugs its easier than routing an ethernet cable upstairs to a dedicated socket. They transfer the Ethernet signal from the modem via the mains and provide another Ethernet socket in the room you require at the mains plug in that room. Amazon has a great selection, Solwise are a good make, Netgear do some good ones now as well. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/280-5692380-1479358?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=Homeplugs&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=firefox-uk-21
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

lozcart

I would look at Ethernet powerline adapters, you should have an Ethernet port on your existing router, wire this to a powerline adaptor and install another by the new computer. I haven't used them but some people on the forum have and should be able to give you some recommendations.

:welc:

lozcart

I told you so, Gary beat me to it  ;)

Steve

Two modems will need two phone lines ie two line rentals and two broadband connections.

As the others have said power plugs is an option, you need a router with an integral modem this will have several usually 4 Ethernet ports in addition to WiFi , some routers have dual band WiFi so if any of your devices will work on the 5Ghz spectrum they will be less affected by 2.5Ghz use and neighbouring interference.

Depending on the ease or difficulty in running an Ethernet cable to your proposed machine will depend whether the Homeplugs are the preferred option.

:welc5: :karma:
Steve
------------

ianp2312

Many thanks for these bits of advice. I didn't make myself clear. I do not want, at all, any wires going up two floors from my current modem/router to the new computer in my loft. I want to plug a new modem/router into the phone extension up there, and to then plug my new computer into it via an ethernet cable about 6' long.

You say: "Two modems will need two phone lines ie two line rentals and two broadband connections." Why is that? I can get both broadband and a conventional phone line into my house down the BT copper cable from the pole outside. Why not two separate broadband signals - one to my existing wi-fi modem/router and another to the new equipment in my loft?

Steve

The broadband connection is between your modem and the single item of exchange equipment allocated to your phone line i.e it will only except a single negotiated connection at anyone time. In theory you could use either socket for your broadband connection however extension sockets are notorious for interference which then degrades performance. Switching between two modems on different sockets I wouldn't recommend either as a continuous broadband connection is seen by the exchange as a stable connection and will attempt to give the line it's best possible performance but the opposite occurs when the modem is frequently powered down.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: ianp2312 on Feb 02, 2014, 22:23:28
Many thanks for these bits of advice. I didn't make myself clear. I do not want, at all, any wires going up two floors from my current modem/router to the new computer in my loft. I want to plug a new modem/router into the phone extension up there, and to then plug my new computer into it via an ethernet cable about 6' long.

You say: "Two modems will need two phone lines ie two line rentals and two broadband connections." Why is that? I can get both broadband and a conventional phone line into my house down the BT copper cable from the pole outside. Why not two separate broadband signals - one to my existing wi-fi modem/router and another to the new equipment in my loft?
If you use a homeplug you will have a ethernet cable from current router to nearest power socket downstairs, then upstairs from your nearest power socket a homeplug and an Ethernet port to plug into your computer, there are no wires going up the stairs, this is buy far the easiest way of doing this I think.   :)

ianp2312

Thank you. Sorry to be a pest, but I may have a problem doing that. The electrical circuits in my loft extension - for the lights, shower, plugs etc - run from a separate fuse box to the rest of the house. Will this scupper your suggestion?

Gary

Quote from: ianp2312 on Feb 03, 2014, 08:28:18
Thank you. Sorry to be a pest, but I may have a problem doing that. The electrical circuits in my loft extension - for the lights, shower, plugs etc - run from a separate fuse box to the rest of the house. Will this scupper your suggestion?
That may well do, its best to have them on one circuit. You can get wireless extenders with Ethernet ports, which may be a better idea. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-WN3000RP-Universal-Wi-Fi-Extender/dp/B0055Y6PUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391416890&sr=8-1&keywords=Wirless+extender+with+ethernet+port

To be honest if you could get someone to run Cat 5E or Cat 6 to your loft put as a data extension from your NTE5 using a faceplate, that would be the best way for doing this, then just have a RJ45 socket in the loft. The cable could be run outside if protected.

ianp2312

Thanks. Earlier, Steve said: "In theory you could use either socket for your broadband connection however extension sockets are notorious for interference which then degrades performance." Is that always the case? Or can I get some sort of engineer to test the quality of my phone extension in my loft? If it was a good enough line, I realise I could simply avoid all this potential hassle by unplugging my wi-fi modem/router by the front door, moving ii up to the loft (lock, stock and barrel), plugging it in there (there is a power point too), and then just plugging my new computer into the back off it via one of its ethernet sockets. Hey presto!

Gary

Quote from: ianp2312 on Feb 03, 2014, 11:29:15
Thanks. Earlier, Steve said: "In theory you could use either socket for your broadband connection however extension sockets are notorious for interference which then degrades performance." Is that always the case? Or can I get some sort of engineer to test the quality of my phone extension in my loft? If it was a good enough line, I realise I could simply avoid all this potential hassle by unplugging my wi-fi modem/router by the front door, moving ii up to the loft (lock, stock and barrel), plugging it in there (there is a power point too), and then just plugging my new computer into the back off it via one of its ethernet sockets. Hey presto!
Steve is spot on, unless the extension was done with CW1308 (BT cable) it could be awful, if its bog standard flat telephone extension cable I would not bother at all. Without a twisted pair cable the whole thing apart from increasing attenuation acts like a giant aerial for interference. You should really always use the main demarcation point in your home for your router, I have seen some a couple of bad lines run off extensions with  lots of REIN and reduced speed which creates errors which the exchange will see and the DLM will reduce your speed to try and compensate. So unless its proper twisted pair cable don't bother tbh. Also moving routers around will cause the exchange to see disconnects different noise margins etc like Steve mentioned, it could make a mess of your line. Getting a BT engineer out would cost a lot of money as well, over £150 easily.

Steve

Are we talking one storey plus loft or two? If the later you could still use Wifi either via a Homeplug WifI access point on the upper floor you would obviously need an ordinary Homeplug downstairs. Or as Gary has suggested a WiFi range extender.

Regarding different circuits and home plugs you can bridge two mains circuits if the sockets are available by a length of Ethernet cable between the home plugs attached to the different circuit ,but in that scenario you need 4 plugs
Steve
------------