BT reselling nosedive?

Started by Technical Ben, Feb 02, 2014, 20:59:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

Probably relevant: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/31/bt_q3_fy2013/

QuoteBT's wholesale wing continued on its downward spiral during the one-time national telco's third quarter, with sales tumbling nine per cent to £589m from £645m a year earlier.
Are companies jumping ship?
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Steve

I think these days the landline phone usage is well down as well.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Feb 02, 2014, 21:11:55
I think these days the landline phone usage is well down as well.
I would agree, many people just use thier mobiles now, with so many free minutes and also less people are actually talking, apps like WhatsApp etc are replacing voice calls.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

nowster

As someone said to me over ten years ago, "Voice is just another application."

Technical Ben

Then they noticed they can packet inspect, and they decided that "not all applications are equal". (At least for those companies banning/blocking whatsApp/skype etc) ;)

Gary

Quote from: Technical Ben on Feb 07, 2014, 23:38:17
Then they noticed they can packet inspect, and they decided that "not all applications are equal". (At least for those companies banning/blocking whatsApp/skype etc) ;)
I think most Mobile networks allow those apps now, I can facetime over 3G (when I can get 3G) on the iPhone and it hardly uses any data, which is odd as I expected it to hammer it. I think most companies realise banning people using those apps meant loosing customers to networks that would allow them.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Technical Ben

I think some companies (read most, as they get lot's of monopolies over there), do still block any competing network traffic, based on IP/or protocol etc. Which is really underhanded.