Google.com strangeness

Started by Simon, Feb 09, 2014, 12:05:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Yesterday, my Malwarebytes was blocking access to Google.com, IP range 173.194.41.176-180, so I ended up changing my default search engine in SeaMonkey to Google.co.uk, which was fine.

This morning, I have just tried Google.com again, to see if it is still being blocked, and I am now redirected to Google.co.uk every time, on every browser (I didn't change IE or Firefox yesterday).

I'm not sure what's going on, but can someone try http://www.google.com for me, and see what you get?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Lance
_____

Simon

Oh right, but I've only noticed this this morning - it was definitely going to Google.com yesterday, so something must have happened. 
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Google has almost always redirected for me. Which is a pain at times.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Lance

Maybe just try clicking the google.com link in the bottom right of the .co.uk page - it may remember your preference.
Lance
_____

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Feb 09, 2014, 12:19:29
Oh right, but I've only noticed this this morning - it was definitely going to Google.com yesterday, so something must have happened. 
Google directs me to .co.uk and has for ages now. I dont really need .com as .uk shows relevant results from all over the world anyway.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Yes, I agree, I don't need .com, and would always use .co.uk as a preference.  It's just odd that it seems to have been changed after MWB blocking .com yesterday.  Oh, and that wasn't just me, as it's on the MWB forums, but the only info given was that it's 'not a F/P' (false positive). 
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

A lot of sites I use including Google redirect me to either a .co.uk or an EU version of the site. I find it very annoying, especially if there's region specific content involved.
zap
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Feb 09, 2014, 12:27:45
Yes, I agree, I don't need .com, and would always use .co.uk as a preference.  It's just odd that it seems to have been changed after MWB blocking .com yesterday.  Oh, and that wasn't just me, as it's on the MWB forums, but the only info given was that it's 'not a F/P' (false positive). 
Its odder that you were not redirected to .co.uk in the first place, as I seem to remember that was occurring all last year at least. False positives, don't you just love them  ;D

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Feb 09, 2014, 12:33:34
A lot of sites I use including Google redirect me to either a .co.uk or an EU version of the site. I find it very annoying, especially if there's region specific content involved.
First world problems hey.  ;)

tehidyman

Experienced this Google problem a while back and eventually soved it by this means ---quote from my post in Dec 2012." checking around to solve another search problem led me to the Mycroft Project site (mycroftproject.com) which then enabled me to put Google UK version into my browser (Firefox) search box.  Now the Google UK option is available again.  Not sure what browser you use but maybe worth a look.  I have now customised my Amazon and Ebay search engines to the UK rather than US."

Simon

Thanks, I'll have a look at that, but I've changed the default search engine from .com to .co.uk by amending the search.json file in the profile.  Not sure if it will stick after an update, but hopefully the issue will be sorted by then.  Amazon UK and eBay UK is easy enough to simply bookmark.  :)
Simon.
--

Simon

Google UK added via Mycroft Project page.  Thanks, Terry!  :thumb:
Simon.
--

Lona

I really don't understand what you are all talking about. I go into internet options on both Firefox and IE and make https://google.co.uk my home page and am never redirected to google.com.  :confuse2:

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Clive

I get directed to Google Deutschland.   :dunno:  Rather creepy!

Technical Ben

Quote from: Lona on Feb 09, 2014, 15:51:23
I really don't understand what you are all talking about. I go into internet options on both Firefox and IE and make https://google.co.uk my home page and am never redirected to google.com.  :confuse2:
The problem is the other way around. If you don't want location specific results, it can be a pain.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.