Amazon Prime additions

Started by Steve, Feb 21, 2014, 13:27:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

More woe for ISPs , for an increase in the yearly fee when due or at reduced rate if you join now, access to Amazon's online movie streams and it's Kindle library.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=251199&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1902172&highlight=
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--

colirv

I suspect (hope) that the number of people boycotting Amazon will continue to rise.
Colin

Steve

To be honest I'm quite looking forward to it, I think it's a fantastic opportunity as a prime customer!
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Steve on Feb 21, 2014, 14:26:06
To be honest I'm quite looking forward to it, I think it's a fantastic opportunity as a prime customer!

Apparently I'm a prime customer. Does that mean I now get access to LOVEFiLM content?
zap
--------------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: Steve on Feb 21, 2014, 13:27:52
More woe for ISPs , for an increase in the yearly fee when due or at reduced rate if you join now, access to Amazon's online movie streams and it's Kindle library.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=251199&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1902172&highlight=
Personally I don't think it's woe. As I've said before. If it has cost, charge for it. If the consumer does not wish to pay for it, don't give it to them. Children soon learn not to take parents for granted if, after cleaning out the cookie jar, the parents stop buying cookies for a few months. They'd think twice if they had to pay for it themselves.
Offering "free" or "unlimited" services that are neither is the problem, not the customers making use of them.
(Actual damage to the network though, that is a grim crime!)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

zappaDPJ

I have another probably stupid question. I don't have a Kindle but I do have a iPad with a Kindle app. Does this mean I'll be able to download the books for free to my iPad?
zap
--------------------

Steve

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Feb 21, 2014, 15:10:45
Apparently I'm a prime customer. Does that mean I now get access to LOVEFiLM content?

Yes it does but there will be extra cost when your renewal is due!
Steve
------------

Steve

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Feb 21, 2014, 16:24:37
I have another probably stupid question. I don't have a Kindle but I do have a iPad with a Kindle app. Does this mean I'll be able to download the books for free to my iPad?

I think you need to own a Kindle.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

Thanks Steve, I've just paid for year today after a month's free trial. I had the option to opt out but access to LOVEFiLM makes it well worth the money at least for the first year. Now I just need to work out when it's my turn to use the Internet!
zap
--------------------

pctech

I'm feeling a bit guilty as have been hammering NowTV recently and spent a few hours on Saturday watching a 24 gameblast session for charity on Twitch.

My bandwidth use for January was 125GB and I expect it'll be double that for this month.

Even though it is technically unmetered I've been waiting for a call from my ISP along the lines of 'can you curtail your usage please'

Technical Ben

Yeah, I had to tell my bro to "STOP USING THE INTERNET NOW!!!" when he visited over the winter Uni break. He said, "I'm just watching a bit of twitch", to which I thought "but we have not gone through twice what I do witching iplayer/streams, or even 4 times. We have gone through nearly half my allowance in a week."

Then he told me he turns it on in the morning, and leaves it on all day.  :slap: :swoon:

Simon

A case in point for my 'pay for what you use' argument.   ;)
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Oh, I can assure you, he did!  :laugh:

nowster

It would be helpful if it worked on Android or Linux. As it is, this would be a £30 hike in the price for no extra benefit at all.

pctech

Does it not work on the Kindle for Android client then?

It would cost me a fortune to go back to a pay as you use package now though I have always understood why most ISPs operate this way, I moved to my current provider to save myself cash and escape BT DLM.

Steve

Quote from: nowster on Feb 26, 2014, 09:15:48
It would be helpful if it worked on Android or Linux. As it is, this would be a £30 hike in the price for no extra benefit at all.

I agree, at least I've 11 months to monitor usage before I have to pay again. Certainly Prime was previously worth it for me in delivery costs but next year it may not be the case.

I need to see whether my TV/ Blu Player will support it via an App.
Steve
------------