FTTC router setups

Started by Rik, Jun 14, 2011, 12:19:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

I thought it would be helpful if those of you on FTTC could give the details involved in setting your router up to work with the BT modem. Since I'm not yet in that position, consider this a pretty please from me. :)
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

alexwright

Well, some of my guide to IPv6 is applicable to those running their own Linux servers:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25909.0.html

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

A quick outline, I don't want to re-start at the moment so can't give all the options (especially on Quick Start) but hopefully it should get you going!

Billion 7800N router, firmware 1.06d:

According to the manual, if you connect the router to your computer and the modem, the first time you start Internet Explorer will cause an Easy Setup wizard to run, but I use a Mac so can't comment on that.

For manual setting up, first connect to the router using your favourite browser, default IP is 192.168.1.254

Log in, default admin username is admin, password is admin. This should take you to the Basic status page:

On the menu on the left there's a "Quick Start" menu item which will take you through the basic steps to get connected, the first page looks like this:

Make sure you've got your IDNet login name and password to hand and that the Connect Mode is set to EWAN from the drop-down list. Apart from the login items I think you can just accept the defaults.

When you've finished, the router will re-start and you should be connected!

If you prefer the more geeky approach or want to use something non-standard, from the Basic menu on the  left click WAN, this should bring up the Configuration page:

Fill in details as required (leave the IPv6 box unchecked if you don't want it). Some boxes (eg "Primary DNS / Secondary DNS" will be grayed out if you've enabled Get Automatically.

4)  Click the "Apply" button.

Router should re-start and connect to the internet.

To set up the wireless, select WLAN from the menu:

Fill in the boxes and click Apply, it'll re-start again.

Don't worry about re-starting it when you change something, it's a PPP disconnect not a sync drop, so shouldn't upset BT's DLM.

When it all works, I'd strongly recommend going to

Advanced => Configuration => System => Backup/Restore

and making a copy of your configuration on disk, and doing the same any time you make significant changes. Then if you have to do a reset-to-defaults at any time, you can use the Restore option instead of typing it all in again!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Bill

Billion don't seem to have got around to manuals for the v1.06 firmware yet, but if anyone wants to look at an earlier version (1.02):

Manual (8MB pdf)

Quick Start Guide (1.2MB pdf)

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

I plugged mine in :laugh:

That's not much help is it, it was preconfigured by IDNet :)
zap
--------------------

jm_paulin

Draytek 2820....

On WAN->General Setup: select WAN1: Disabled, WAN2 Enabled... Make sure you run the cable from the BT Modem to the WAN2 port on the Draytek

Then WAN-> Internet Access: Click on WAN2 and you get the screens:

Then LAN-> if you want to setup DNS....

Anton

For the Airport Extreme:

Connect the BT modem to the WAN port of the Airport (ringed in red on the enclosed).

Power up the Airport and connect either via ethernet or by wifi (the SSD will typically be "Apple Network XXXXXX" and run the Airport Utility software (pre-installed in OS X and on a CD supplied with the router for Windows users). AFAIK there's no web interface so best to avoid this one if you're penguinesque!

The Airport set up will prompt you around security, securing your wireless, airdisk (the device allows a USB drive or printer to be shared via it's USB Port) and will finally show the PPPoE screen (details in screen shot - note this is my device showing it's current settings, the layout will be identical but won't have the two radio buttons at the top of the panel). Once configuration is complete the beacon on the front of the Airport should turn green (from yellow flashing) indicating that all has connected and is well.
Anton
FTTC - Airport Extreme (Dual Band) - Various Macs and Apple TVs!

Rik

Rik
--------------------

.Griff.

Linksys WRT320N

Connect the Huawei/Openreach Modem to the Linksys via the Yellow "Internet" port.

Enter http://192.168.1.1/ into your web browser to access the Linksys setup page -

Click for full size - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/griff_90/c84ca011.jpg

Internet Setup

"Internet Connection Type" - Set to PPPoE.

"Username" - As supplied by Idnet.

"Password" - As supplied by Idnet.

Select "Keep alive" to keep the connection live even if idle.

"MTU" - Set to 1492 (This is the default for a PPPoE connection)

Network Setup

"Router IP" - This shows both the Router's IP Address and Subnet Mask, as seen by your network. The default IP Address is 192.168.1.1

"Subnet Mask" - Select 255.255.255.0

"DHCP Server" - Enabled.

"Static DNS" - Enter the DNS server IP's provided by Idnet or alternatively enter those of your choice. In my screenshot you can see I use OpenDNS.

Now you can press "Save Settings" at the very bottom of the page and then press "Reboot"

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Ardua

The Fritz!Box 7390 has built in VDSL functions which, with the present firmware (v.88), are not easily configurable - particularly, re-setting the VLAN setting to 101. Other European users use FBEditor to re-configure their box firmware and it seems to work. I had reason to contact AVM about a minor DECT telephone issue, so I took the opportunity to ask them whether the next version of the 7390 firmware will have an editable VLAN box. This is a copy of their reply:

A lab firmware (beta) has been released these days (in "FRITZ!Lab") which
offers a first experimental manual VLAN configuration option. Please feel
free to test with this FRITZ!Lab firmware, available at
http://www.avm.de/en/service/Lab/index.php

Information on FRITZ! lab
FRITZ! lab presents new functions and improvements for the FRITZ!Box before
these are implemented in the regular firmware update, however with beta
status.

For comments or other feedback regarding this beta firmware that are not
related to this issue, please use our link at

http://www.avm.de/en/service/Lab/labor_feedback_en.p...

After the installation of the lab firmware, you can revert to the current
official firmware via the recovery tool which is included in the download
file. We recommend the following procedure:

* Before the installation of a lab firmware, save the settings of the
FRITZ!Box ("System > Save Settings").
* Install FRITZ! lab firmware from our web site at:
http://www.avm.de/en/service/Lab/index.php

If required, you can install the official firmware again:

* Apply the recovery tool that is included in the downloaded lab firmware
file.
* Re-import the FRITZ!Box settings that were saved prior to the
installation of the lab firmware (via the user interface: "System > Save
Settings > Restore").

A lot of 'down under' Fritz!Box user have installed the beta software without many reported issues. As I now have a stable ADSL2+ connection, and with FTTC still a few months away, I will wait for the formal release of the upgrade. It would though be useful to know how other FTTC/Fritz!Box users get on with this upgrade: ie, will it work on FTTC?

Ardua

Fritz!Box Labs has just released a Release Candidate Firmware update for the 7390:  Version .20267 which includes a new ADSL engine. Advice that I have been getting from European cable users of this box re FTTC is:

All VLAN settings for most of the known ISP's are automatically set after selecting the correct option.

If you have selected "UK" as country, then you should have a drop downlist of known ISP's and DSL options in the UK (e.g. "BT VDSL2")

If this is not the case, you will have to add 101 to the VLAN box in the DSL Set Up menu.  If the VLAN is not properly set, you will find that the FritzBox 7390 will synchronise perfectly on VDSL2 (e.g. 50 mbit/s down, 10 mbit/s up), however the PPPoE connection will fail, hence no internet.

tucky

Just upgraded from ADSL to FTTC and used my same TP-Link TD-W8960N modem router...chuffed....saved myself some money.

Follow the instructions at:

http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=344

Except for the WAN Service Configuration step, where the selected option should be 'PPPoE', and I ignored Part 5.

Simon

Simon.
--

Ray

Ray
--------------------

Steve

Steve
------------

Niall

Quote from: Bill on Jun 14, 2011, 19:38:25
A quick outline, I don't want to re-start at the moment so can't give all the options (especially on Quick Start) but hopefully it should get you going!

Billion 7800N router, firmware 1.06d:

According to the manual, if you connect the router to your computer and the modem, the first time you start Internet Explorer will cause an Easy Setup wizard to run, but I use a Mac so can't comment on that.

For manual setting up, first connect to the router using your favourite browser, default IP is 192.168.1.254

Log in, default admin username is admin, password is admin. This should take you to the Basic status page:

On the menu on the left there's a "Quick Start" menu item which will take you through the basic steps to get connected, the first page looks like this:

Make sure you've got your IDNet login name and password to hand and that the Connect Mode is set to EWAN from the drop-down list. Apart from the login items I think you can just accept the defaults.

When you've finished, the router will re-start and you should be connected!

If you prefer the more geeky approach or want to use something non-standard, from the Basic menu on the  left click WAN, this should bring up the Configuration page:

Fill in details as required (leave the IPv6 box unchecked if you don't want it). Some boxes (eg "Primary DNS / Secondary DNS" will be grayed out if you've enabled Get Automatically.

4)  Click the "Apply" button.

Router should re-start and connect to the internet.

To set up the wireless, select WLAN from the menu:

Fill in the boxes and click Apply, it'll re-start again.

Don't worry about re-starting it when you change something, it's a PPP disconnect not a sync drop, so shouldn't upset BT's DLM.

When it all works, I'd strongly recommend going to

Advanced => Configuration => System => Backup/Restore

and making a copy of your configuration on disk, and doing the same any time you make significant changes. Then if you have to do a reset-to-defaults at any time, you can use the Restore option instead of typing it all in again!

Cheers for this. I couldn't find the setting for the ppoe. I'd set it to EWAN but couldn't see the ppoe anywhere. Turns out it's only in the menus via the setup wizard. My engineer didn't have a clue as he was used to the BT/Sky/Talk talk/Orange ones that are pre configured. Everything was tested before he left so I knew it was just a setting :)

Mucho karma to you, good sir :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Steve

Sorry Niall I forgot we'd got that. :red:
Steve
------------

Niall

Me too, and I've read the whole thread multiple times when bored on breaks in work. I found this in a google search ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Lance

Niall, going advanced menu, Configuration, Wan, Wan profile you get the screen which allows you to change the protocol to PPPoE without going through the wizard.
Lance
_____

Niall

Odd, I couldn't find that. Ah well, all done now ;D
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy