Wireless Issues

Started by Wartsnall, Feb 16, 2014, 14:06:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Wartsnall

Hi, all.

I'm a long time Idnet customer and generally very happy with the service. I've developed a recent issue that I just cannot cure, and whilst on the Idnet webpage I noticed a link to here.

My issue is that my wireless signal is intermittent. Nothing has changed in my house or with any of my settings, but all of the attached devices drop signal at the same time. It's random as to when. My hard wired connections are always good, but if I run a continuous ping on all of my devices, then all of the wireless ones drop connection at the same time.

I'm fairly self sufficient and naturally have been to Google for help. I've tried changing the following:

CTS/RTS Threshold
SSID
Region
Channel
Mode
New Firmware

I then gave up and assumed the problem was with the router itself. Idnet told me they didn't support it because it was over two years old. I have now purchased a new one, which they do support. The connection wireless connection still drops.

I'm tearing my hair out with frustration here. I realise it's possible that someone has moved in near me and is screwing with my signal, but I've had the laptop drop signal when 3 feet away from the router in direct LOS.

My router is a netgear WNR1000v3, I have a FTTC connection.

I thank you for the advice in advance.

Glenn

Do the wired connections drop at the same time?

Try running a ThinkBroadBand quality monitor for a few days, it should show if your connection is dropping. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

:welc5: :karma:
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Wartsnall

Thanks for the welcome.

As stated in my post the wired connections are all good.

I have run connection monitors on all my devices. Ipad, 2 x droids, laptop and two hard wired PCs. The only ones that drop are the wireless devices. I've actively watched my laptop and my Ipad lose connection at the same time, whilst my hard wired desktop remains active. I have reviewed the logs and all wifi drops.

lozcart

Have you recently had any new electrical equipment which could affect you wifi signal, microwave or fridge freezer?

colirv

If you haven't already done so, I would try changing channel, a couple of times if necessary, on the new router.
Colin

Steve

It sounds like WiFi interference from the neighbours, or less likely dodgy firmware on the router or the computer's WiFi adaptor . As has been suggested try another channel, most routers on auto use 1 or 11 try 6 or 7. Depending on which OS you use there are free scanners which will show you the strength and channel your neighbours are using.

:welc: :karma:
Steve
------------

Wartsnall

As I said in my original post, I have tried changing the channel, firmware and even the router itself. I should have mentioned I am running a wifi channel scanner.

Nothing new has been added to my house recently, but a friend has just suggested that something might be on the fritz, so I'm going to try moving the router to somewhere else in the house. That requires rather a lot of hassle, but hey!

I shall let you guys know. Keep the suggestions coming. Save my last few hairs.

Steve

Have you tried assigning a static IP to one of the WiFi devices?
Steve
------------

JB

This is a really long shot!

Although they operate several hundred MHz away, people have sometimes reported that DECT phones can cause problems with WiFi. If you haven't installed one is there any chance that a neighbour (on the other side of a wall) may have done so?

Like I say, a very long shot.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

colirv

Quote from: Wartsnall on Feb 16, 2014, 18:03:45
As I said in my original post, I have tried changing the channel, firmware and even the router itself.

You said you'd changed the channel before changing the router. You didn't say that you'd also tried changing the channel after you'd changed the router, which is why I checked whether you had done so or not.
Colin

goldberg

Some while ago I installed 12v MR16 LED lighting in my kitchen, and discovered that whenever these lights were in use, the kitchen DAB radio reception was wiped out.
Similar problems have been reported on various forums including: http://interference.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=186
It seems that some of the lower-quality LED bulbs, particularly the 12v MR16 type,  produce significant amounts of RF interference.

Some users of LED lights have also reported degradation of broadband performance, and it could be that the RF also disrupts WiFi transmissions.

Eventually I replaced my lights with GU10 mains-powered LEDs, and the RF leakage from these is so minimal they appear not to affect DAB reception.