FTTC options

Started by gazzthompson, Apr 02, 2014, 15:37:10

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzthompson

So it would seem my local exchange is upgraded! Samknows seems out of date: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAWTN

IDNET: IDNet FTTC Broadband is also available on ********** and your estimated download speed is 33mbps,

ZEN: Download: 32.8Mbps   Upload: 6.6Mbps
Fibre Optic Broadband is available on this line; the maximum estimate speeds are show above.*

ect

As every website I check (BT, IDNET, ZEN) all say I can get FTTC though I know its a very recent upgrade (last day or so). I have been out of the ISP loop for a while and whistle I love Idnet the price of 200gb FTTC package is much more than competitors.. £45.00 compared to unlimited BT/Zen ect for around £25~

Considering the double price difference why should I stay with Idnet? I would be willing to pay £5/10 more for the great service but not double!

Heavy usage with lots of gaming and P2P networking , Ping/latency important.

Glenn

Any particular reason for posting the same thing twice 24hrs apart?

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,32000.0.html
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

I though I was sensing a strange  :dv:
Simon.
--

gazzthompson

Wasn't sure which was correct forum, Can't delete, Can you delete whichever is more inappropriate.

Glenn

OK, the original is gone.
Glenn
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: gazzthompson on Apr 02, 2014, 15:37:10
So it would seem my local exchange is upgraded! Samknows seems out of date: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EAWTN

IDNET: IDNet FTTC Broadband is also available on ********** and your estimated download speed is 33mbps,

ZEN: Download: 32.8Mbps   Upload: 6.6Mbps
Fibre Optic Broadband is available on this line; the maximum estimate speeds are show above.*

ect

As every website I check (BT, IDNET, ZEN) all say I can get FTTC though I know its a very recent upgrade (last day or so). I have been out of the ISP loop for a while and whistle I love Idnet the price of 200gb FTTC package is much more than competitors.. £45.00 compared to unlimited BT/Zen ect for around £25~

Zen is £30 is you take the phone line, it seems to be a great service. I must admit I rarely go over 100GB, last month was the first at 118GB. I would say Zen if your not interested in sport or BT if you are. Be aware Zen has no IPV6 at the moment and BT don't give you a static IP. You pays your money you makes your choices. Personally unless there is a a change in tariff to say 200GB for £35 I'll be heading out to pastures new later this year myself, unless of course ISP's like Zen buckle from all the new subscribers leaving smaller ISP's  ;)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Apr 02, 2014, 16:54:29unless of course ISP's like Zen buckle from all the new subscribers leaving smaller ISP's  ;)

No sign of that yet, flying along here and no worries about hitting your cap :)

Now for my line to stop sucking!  :rant2:

Baz

Which package is £30 Gary and also at Zen their site advertised prices exclude VAT so dont forget that.How much extra do they both charge if you go over

What is the contract with IDNet for fibre?

Simon

I believe the contract with IDNet for fibre is 12 months. 

With respect though, guys, please bear in mind that IDNetters isn't an ISP comparison site.
Simon.
--

Den

The ONLY reason I left Idnet for BT Infinity was the cost, the sport is great though and I love the Homehub 5.  ;D
Mr Music Man.

Gary

Quote from: Den on Apr 02, 2014, 21:42:15
The ONLY reason I left Idnet for BT Infinity was the cost, the sport is great though and I love the Homehub 5.  ;D
shame it has so many issues. BT forum has been posting about reboot issues with the auto firmware that bt installs in it. I would never use a devise that's auto updated in the background like a router, it's bad enough the BTOR modems are.

Den

I have not had a reboot since I installed it and the WiFi is superb. It is leading in every magazine chart I have read and they are quoting the full selling price and still saying that is great value (It cost me £40 from BT to upgrade from BT HH4),  ;D
Mr Music Man.

Steve

Moved from IDNet Help as discussion of the HH5 has no relevance there. What I find amusing about the HH5 is that the packaging is designed to fit through your letterbox and then fall on to what ever surface lies below. :eek4:  There has been recent issues with the vdsl modem and even BT support were recommending for those affected to use the old Openreach Modem (if they had one)
Steve
------------

Den

I had the Homehub 4 with a openreach box and it ran well. Then I had the option to buy the Homehub 5 for a limited time for (I think) £40.00. It came very well packed indeed and I just unplugged the older system and powered up the HH5. It set it self up at a slightly faster speed than the previous box and has never rebooted since. I have had a number of Modem Routers over the years but before the HH5 the best was the BT Business hub. The worst was the Netgear one and I sold that on quite quickly.  :)
Mr Music Man.

Gary

Quote from: Den on Apr 03, 2014, 09:07:47
I had the Homehub 4 with a openreach box and it ran well. Then I had the option to buy the Homehub 5 for a limited time for (I think) £40.00. It came very well packed indeed and I just unplugged the older system and powered up the HH5. It set it self up at a slightly faster speed than the previous box and has never rebooted since. I have had a number of Modem Routers over the years but before the HH5 the best was the BT Business hub. The worst was the Netgear one and I sold that on quite quickly.  :)
Have a look at the BT forums, Den. You most be one of the few as BT update the firmware without your knowledge and the HH5 has been causing huge problems, is basic and limited as its locked down to BT. Signal is not that great either compared with the Asus and Netgear AC routers either. Many went back to the HH4/HH3 which is less problematic as has been mentioned. Also they do get replaced alot, as hitting a hard floor in cardboard box does not do circuitry and plastic any good. Source the web, and a BT engineer who has replaced many. Oddly I seem to recall you loved that DGND3700v2 when you bought it...  :eyebrow:

Steve

Without trying to get involved in an argument I think the HH5 does have some advantages  especially for the non technical user. The incorporation of the vdsl modem makes it green as well. The obvious advantage of automatic update is clear when you look at the recent attacks on certain makes of router, the WiFi is AC compatible and whilst not as strong a performer as routers like the Asus it is less than a third of their price. So for what you pay I think it represents good value however it would not suit me as I prefer the two box solution and a few other bells and whistles,it is of course locked to BT and Plusnet and as yet is not IPv6 compatible although the menu indicates it maybe one day.
Steve
------------

Gary

I never really saw the use of a one box solution myself on FTTC, also auto firmware is not something I would personally want as I said. How many times have manufacturers released a cock up in firmware. If the thing updates and reboots on its own you loose FTTC sync and depending on time of day you can loose speed. Its wireless range is not as good as other routers, and I dont think you can change the dns or have guest networks, but I could be wrong. My Mothers one has been buggy, the last firmware update caused the reboot cycle so we had to re use the BTOR modem then there were no issues. The fact that BT denied their firmware botched the unit is why I like to update only when I have read about the latest firmware and any adverse effects it may have. As yopu say keeping current is important but I want that choice, I don't want BT or whoever to do it for me. Personal choice and we all have different ones.  ;)

Steve

I think we have to accept Gary that we are in the minority, we choose to have a degree of control over our connections and the interface between that and our local network. I've survived for 2 and half years with a modem I have no control over so the HH is only step further on and I think it is important as I stated earlier that the majority are protected from threats like router hacking. Imagine all the home hubs hacked we'd have no internet throughput anywhere in the country.

Moving on I've had my Asus RT N66U for 12 months now and can only applaud it's performance in terms of stability and WiFi throughput plus the additional features provided by RMerlin's Asuswrt firmware - naively it gives me the impression that I have some degree of control.

I looked at single box solutions but the Asus RT AC68U probably is next although there's mention of a wave2 products June this year.
Steve
------------

Den

Mine must be the Welsh version because all the people I know in this area are having no problems. I live in a large house and the Wifi is the best I have ever had and yes there is a guest network.  ;D
Mr Music Man.

psp83

Quote from: Baz on Apr 02, 2014, 18:06:16
Which package is £30 Gary and also at Zen their site advertised prices exclude VAT so dont forget that.How much extra do they both charge if you go over

What is the contract with IDNet for fibre?

The "home" broadband section on Zen site includes VAT in the cost, hence the unlimited fibre 2 package is £30 with landline or £35.40 without landline (this is what I pay)

IDnet prices show both exc & inc VAT.

Zen doesn't charge you anything extra as its unlimited, I think IDnet charge £1 a GB when you go over.

All current FTTC packages Zen, IDnet and other good ISP's are 12 month contract at first then monthly after.

Steve

Quote from: Den on Apr 03, 2014, 13:05:37
Mine must be the Welsh version because all the people I know in this area are having no problems. I live in a large house and the Wifi is the best I have ever had and yes there is a guest network.  ;D

Do you actually get a Welsh version or just the choice of either language, which of course just occupies twice the space and energy. I'm never quite sure whether to brake at 'SLOW' or 'ARAF' sometimes in order not to miss the apex.
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Den

Leave my sheep alone  :o
Mr Music Man.

Den

I was just checking after all the negative comments on here about the BT Homehub 5 and found that in the magazines "Web User" and "PC Adviser" it has been voted the BEST BUY award so I suppose we should now class them with the Mail and Express.  >:D
Mr Music Man.

Steve

Come on Den for £45 of course it's good value for money for BT and Plusnet users.
Steve
------------