Reversible USB cable

Started by Glenn, Apr 03, 2014, 17:27:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

A new design for USB - a standardised connection for data transfers between electronic devices - has been shown off for the first time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26868531
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

Saw some news on it a while back. Mainly it will (hopefully) benefit from any advances and experience from the last 20 or so years since it was first introduced. Other than that reversibility is handy.

Have both sides the same (are they?) instead of having male/female would also help. I'm having to get a mail-female adapter for my pad so I can use it as both a HDD/slave and a controler/Master for different devices.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

zappaDPJ

As far as I am aware both ends use the same Type-C connector. I tend to be a little sceptical about new connector types because they are don't always get it right. SCART was an abomination and SATA is now proving to be somewhat unreliable. On the other hand I've always found USB to be very reliable so I hope this new incarnation proves to be the same.
zap
--------------------

pctech

Why not just get rid of the A-B thing and let the devices negotiate the relationship?

Technical Ben

Quote from: pctech on Apr 03, 2014, 20:43:27
Why not just get rid of the A-B thing and let the devices negotiate the relationship?

Yep. As I said. :P

Oh, and this morning the parcel came for my cable... and I'd got a Micro instead of a Mini. Gah!  :slap:  :laugh:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

john

I'm not sure about these micro USB cables, I've just replaced my mobile phone (Samsung) as it's difficult to be able to charge the battery. usually no amount of 'waggling' the connector causes it to make contact, My new phone (Nokia) also uses a micro USB connector but hopefully it will be a better fit. I agree about SCART connectors, they were difficult to plug them in just by feel alone when it was difficult to access the back of the equipment. HDMI seems to be a lot better but there's still a right and wrong way to insert it. I think they design most connectors for domestic equipment primarily for the lowest possible cost.

Steve

I must admit I've found the micro usb cables difficult having moved from the iPhone , however the wireless chargers are a doddle even without my specs although the battery charge rate is less.
Steve
------------