Asus RT-N66U Router and IPv6

Started by Arctophile, Mar 12, 2014, 10:22:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctophile

Having recently purchased a RT-N66U IPv6 capable router for my new FTTC line I thought I would try to get IPv6 working – without luck so far.  IDNet have confirmed that IPv6 is enabled at their end and have given me my IPv6 details.

The router gives a number of options to activate IPv6:-
Native
Tunnel6to4
Tunnel6in4
Tunnel6rd
Static IPv6

Selecting Native then gives the options of:-
Interface: Ethernet or PPP
DHCP-PD: Enable or Disable

Selecting Native and various combinations of Interface and DHCP-PD does not seem to work when checked against Google or Thinkbroadband IPv6 checkers.

Selecting Static IPv6 and then trying to enter the addresses supplied by IDNet causes the router to say that the addresses are not valid IPv6 addresses – presumably I am getting the format wrong.

This is all well over the limit of my knowledge.  Has anyone managed to get IPv6 working and can advise on the correct set-up options?

Steve

It does work with a static IPv6 and also on occasions Native, DHCP PD , interface is PPP, . It maybe a router firmware issue I use AsusMerlin WRT but Bill I think uses stock firmwares we should be able to come up with a version that worked or indeed works.

It's difficult to set a static router wan IPv6 address when you've never had one.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Asus Merlin Wrt 3.0.0.4.374.35 worked in the past , native, DHCP-PD  If it doesn't show any connectivity it's worth noting the static address and then using as a static setup. Obviously your devices have to be setup correctly and remember it's no NAT and the ASUS firmwares have no IPv6 firewall.
Steve
------------

Arctophile

After trying several options I gave up trying to get IPv6 working.  The RT-N66u seemed to accept some settings but subsequent checks with ThinkBroadband and Google indicated that IPv6 was not working on my connection.  This was with Asus firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 issued in February 2014.

I noticed that this week Asus had made new firmware available (version 3.0.0.4.374.5517).  Along with some important security fixes this revision "Fixed IPv6 related issues".  So, after updating, I thought I would try IPv6 again. 

Under the IPv6 settings I set:-
Connection Type:  Native
Interface: PPP
DHCP-PD: Enable
Enable Router Advertisement: Enable

The router picked up the remaining setting automatically.  Lo and behold IPv6 is now shown as fully working by the various test sites.

An IPv6 firewall is included in both of the above Asus firmaware versions.  I believe the firewall is based on work carried out by "Merlin".

The only thing I notice is that in the router logs the following message appears about every three minutes:-

Apr 19 09:05:55 rdnssd[1201]: Get IPv6 address & DNS from RA
Apr 19 09:08:29 rdnssd[1201]: Get IPv6 address & DNS from RA
Apr 19 09:11:36 rdnssd[1201]: Get IPv6 address & DNS from RA

Presumeably this is related to the router obtaining information from IDNet?

I am not sure what the full advantages IPv6 are but at least it is working.   :)

Steve

I tend to use the Merlin firmwares, I think your correct it will be his implementation of the IPv6 firewall as both Asus and Merlin seem to work together at times with firmwares. IPv6 does seem very hit and miss on firmware versions and it's very time consuming finding one that works when they've messed it up.
Steve
------------