FTTC faceplate

Started by Lona, Jun 11, 2014, 16:05:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

I've been thinking about upgrading to FTTC but am a bit worried about the faceplate being fitted.

My main connection is up in the loft with the old oblong connection.  There's a lead running down from the loft to a modern connection and at the moment my router is connected to a further extension in another room.

My question is how would I lead a cable from up in the loft to my router and also would I need a different router.?

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Steve

OpenReach terminate the FTTC install at the master socket, in theory the FTTC modem could reside at this, and then a data / ethernet cable would then run to the router location. The router would then connect via PPPoE .

Your likely to need a new router as it will need a WAN input for the PPPoE connection.

You could place it all in the loft although I'm not sure what the WiFi performance would be and you would then need cabling from the loft to all your devices.

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lona

I have followed what you have said, Steve, but would the ethernet cable not need to travel from the loft to PC.?

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Steve

If you have a FTTC modem say in the loft then the router can be sited elsewhere in the property. The connection from router to modem is ethernet so relatively immune from interference. You then take off from your router as you do now.

A router example would be the Netgear WNR1000 as supplied by IDNet. I'm hoping OpenReach still supply the modem for third party installs as BT Broadband customers now have a single box solution i.e. router and FTTC modem combined like with adsl.

OpenReach will supply and fit any data extension cables required - have a chat with support they should be able to advise.
Steve
------------

Lona

OK Steve. I would still have to lead an ethernet cable from the loft to router meaning I would need an extra long ethernet cable.

Steve

Yes Lona, As far as I am aware the data extension lead as it's called can be made to be part of the FTTC install

In addition wherever your master socket is or ends up there has to be an adjacent power supply available.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Jun 11, 2014, 21:36:47
Yes Lona, As far as I am aware the data extension lead as it's called can be made to be part of the FTTC install

In addition wherever your master socket is or ends up there has to be an adjacent power supply available.
It has to be ordered when ordering FTTC and is up to 30 meters  :) The FTTC Mk2 socket has two data extension terminals in it as well.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Lona

Thanks Steve and Gary for your input but I think I'll stay with adsl2 for now as I can't be bothered with all the hassle. :(

Gary

Quote from: Lona on Jun 12, 2014, 13:20:49
Thanks Steve and Gary for your input but I think I'll stay with adsl2 for now as I can't be bothered with all the hassle. :(
What router do you have Lona? It may have a wan port already in which case its only the wiring and faceplate and thats all done for you :)

Lona

Gary

Quote from: Lona on Jun 12, 2014, 19:01:09
DG834PN
I dont think it has a WAN port, if it had you would be fine. You need a non adsl port to plug the FTTC modem into (BT contractor brings those) saying that you can get new routers with them very cheaply as you would not need a built in ADSL modem anymore. You could go for a all in one but I personally prefer the modem and router to be separate that way you can update your router firmware and make changes without disconnecting the FTTC modem :) Having had FTTC for a long while now its so much more stable than ADsl2+ and speeds make downloading films etc a pleasure.