why won't websites load sometimes?

Started by LinLin, Jun 16, 2014, 18:45:28

Previous topic - Next topic

LinLin

Hi, there,
I have a strange problem. Every so often (maybe 3-5 times a week) I get a page that comes up with an error message:

"Firefox can't find the server at www.bbcnews.co.uk."

Then in a few minutes it will load up just fine.

It only happens on some websites. Google, for example, always comes up without a problem.

Usually if I switch to Safari, the website will load up all right. But not always. Tonight neither Safari nor Firefox are loading up usually reliable sites, like the bbc news.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Steve

It maybe worthwhile manually setting/switching the DNS servers on your local machine ie IDNet's Google etc.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Also make sure you have your MTU correctly set, that can cause problems with page loading.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

nowster

Steve

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

talos

Quote from: Gary on Jun 16, 2014, 18:53:52
Also make sure you have your MTU correctly set, that can cause problems with page loading.
I sometimes have this problem, mainly after a few mins of surfing throu different pages,  switching DNS seemed to make no difference, but at the risk of sounding thick, what is an MTU ? and how do you set it ?  ??? :)

Gary

Quote from: talos on Jun 17, 2014, 07:46:09
I sometimes have this problem, mainly after a few mins of surfing throu different pages,  switching DNS seemed to make no difference, but at the risk of sounding thick, what is an MTU ? and how do you set it ?  ??? :)
This site may help :) http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/94721-mtu-limit-test-change-your-connection-s-mtu-limit.html

talos

Thanks Gary  :karma:
                     A job for a wet afternoon I think, when I get my brain in gear  :thumb:

Gary

Quote from: talos on Jun 18, 2014, 07:19:17
Thanks Gary  :karma:
                     A job for a wet afternoon I think, when I get my brain in gear  :thumb:
:) Glad it will help