Homeplugs

Started by mungo, Jul 12, 2014, 20:49:10

Previous topic - Next topic

mungo

Just dumped Sky and would like to ask if anyone here ever used homeplugs between router and freesat box? are they any good? any advice on reliability and quality brand homeplugs would be greatly appreciated.Freesat sat box in next room to router but I don't really want to run a cable to it.

Ta in advance

nowster

Homeplugs work best when plugged straight into the wall socket, and may not work well or at all at the end of an extension lead or on a splitter lead.

If you're short on wall sockets, get the "through plug" type.

Also, say goodbye to any shortwave radio reception...

talos

I use a range extender works fine  :thumb:

mungo

Thanks for the replies.

Talos,the freesat box doesn't have wifi

Steve

I use a wifi Ethernet bridge on my Sky box , it works very well
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

My sky box has it built in which means I can take advantage of the 5Ghz frequency now
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

talos

SignLine

I must admit I didn't know too much about these homeplugs.
I have various wifi routers as wireless access points, all on a gigabit LAN and have 4 gigabit switches to various pc's, routers etc, I have a TP Link 8840-T which is now the 2nd one as the first one had issues after 6 months, I have the Netgear N900 WNDR4500 which is ok but doesn't work as well as my years older Belkin F5D8230-4 in terms of coverage, just bought the new'ish Asus RT-AC68U £128 on Pixmania, and have put my modem into bridge mode and the new router handles all traffic, but I've put that where the Netgear N900 is and it wasn't as good or only as good regardless of the external aerials, even the old Belkin works better than all I've bought since so I'm not sure I'll keep that Asus, does future proof for when fibre arrives but no idea when that will be and the N900 does play up with the power light flashing meaning a problem with the firmware but I can't log into it to sort it out and after a while it seems to sort itself out, I was considering just wiring the whole place running cat 5e cables from gigiabit switches and routers to the kids xbox's etc, I've run about 100m of cat5e already, all this blasted wireless tech doesn't seem to live up to what it should do, and then I saw this here and in other threads about homeplugs!
So could the answer be to run a lead from a switch or router to a homeplug, and stick some homeplugs in the various rooms I want internet in, or is that too good/easy to be true?
Do you need a sender and receiver for each room or could I have one plug to send the signal and then receiving plugs in each room?

Steve

One Homeplug feed from the router to many others on the same ring main. As long as you add identical units from the same manufacturer it seems to work reasonably well.

I use a mixture , WiFi mainly but in weak spots upstairs Homeplugs.
Steve
------------

mungo

Quote from: Steve on Jul 14, 2014, 20:36:43
One Homeplug feed from the router to many others on the same ring main. As long as you add identical units from the same manufacturer it seems to work reasonably well.

I use a mixture , WiFi mainly but in weak spots upstairs Homeplugs.

Thanks Steve,just the info I was hoping for

SignLine

Sounds good to me, worth a try, I see a pair of TP link 500mbps £25 on Amazon so I'll give that a go.....and ditch most of these blasted wireless routers!!!!

SignLine

Got 2 pairs and installed them last night, shocked to see they actually worked, and worked well, 2 boys happier with their internet connection on their Xbox's, 3 more pc's on the LAN and hopefully I can whittle 4 wireless routers down to 1 or 2, none would be good as all these signals flying around for mobile phones, wireless phones, routers can't be too good, but we have quite a few tablets and smartphones in use.

Does also help that you can have a plug in the far end of a house and then plug that into a wirelss router and then you have all those extra LAN ports from the router and wireless too when you need it, I was considering running more cat5e cabling, drilling holes in the walls etc, found these just in time!

When a pair of plugs is around the same price as one USB wireless receiver, you can't go wrong, just wish I had found these sooner.

Steve

Seems to be working well. :thumb:
Steve
------------

Broadback

Mine work fine, however I found out the hard way they do not work when plugged via one of the lightening inhibitors!
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Technical Ben

You have to get one with either an all or a single "special" compatible network over plug sockets...
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.