New packages from IDNet

Started by stevenrw, Aug 14, 2014, 15:45:59

Previous topic - Next topic

colirv

Quote from: Steve on Oct 27, 2014, 18:14:05
I think in the consumer home market there is little point in spending over the odds.

I agree - to an extent. Over the years I've been with IDNet I've been happy to pay a premium for a reliable service, watching my friends on cheaper services suffer from poor speeds, disconnects, unhelpful customer services and so on. What has changed for me is a) some of the cheaper services appear to be pretty reliable nowadays and b) both my wife and I now have smart phones, which means we can tether our laptops and get reasonable connectivity even if land-line connectivity is poor or broken. In short, I'm still prepared to pay a premium, but not much of one. My current year is up in January, so the timing of any new packages will probably suit me.
Colin

nowster

Consumer broadband has been a "race to the bottom" in the last decade.

Gary

I dont mind mayping a little more for better CS and IDNet do cover that well. Its nice to not have a ticket system or a huge long wait on a phone to a outsourced scripted call centre. Moving to companies like Zen would give me unlimited but I don't need that and its not saving me any money in the long term and I do wonder how long even a big comany can keep that up over fibre without packet loss and slowdowns during the evening when I game, also its another 12 month contract to enter into. I'm out of contract now which is a nice place to be. I do hope we see some news over the coming month or so as 100GB for £35 is not good value in this day and age, but not having throttling and shaping is great as is the CS IDNet offer. Plusnet are cheap but their traffic priority system bugs me as I like to see all traffic have the same priority or at least I use QOS to sort it out at my end not theirs. BT is a no go for me personally as I don't gain since I have SKY and I'm not a sports fan, also I'm on the old phone tariffs for calls and my line rental here at IDNet is much cheaper
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

colirv

I wouldn't mind their traffic priority system, and with them I'd be saving £18 p.m. (I'm happy to drop speed to 40GB with bandwidth that's not limited to a mere 25GB). AND - if I move within the next 12 days I get an additional non-recurring saving of around £140. I'm very tempted to move now and not wait for IDNet.
Colin

Tacitus

There's a thread over on TB regarding Zen's proposed increase in prices from Dec.  It appears that the increase relates primarily to phone charges, in particular the cost of line rental.  Since this is probably down to BT Wholesale and hence will affect all ISPs, it does make me wonder if iDNet are waiting to see how their main competitors push the increases to their customers before finalising their own packages.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/zen/f/4368304-zen-announce-price-increases.html

Gary

Quote from: colirv on Oct 30, 2014, 13:33:02
I wouldn't mind their traffic priority system, and with them I'd be saving £18 p.m. (I'm happy to drop speed to 40GB with bandwidth that's not limited to a mere 25GB). AND - if I move within the next 12 days I get an additional non-recurring saving of around £140. I'm very tempted to move now and not wait for IDNet.
I cound not stand the ticket system let alone the 45 minute phone wait, for me the Traffic shaping system is a big put off, but its how you use your line that counts. I game and down load a lot of films (legally) so I like having the higher speeds.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Technical Ben

Example of contracts and traffic shaping and why I stay with IDNet.
Work (a rather large company) took out what they thought was an unthrottled service. No idea who was on it, but turns out it's throttled. 2 year contract and the TVs we demo stutter playing content, as of cause, normal ISPs block Youtube for office networks, assuming businesses love this as it makes office work more productive.

Well, our company needs the opposite. Supplier decides "nope, contract!"

I love being on a 1 month rolling contract. Strangely enough, it's kept me with IDNet for longer than the 1-2 year contract most other companies offer for less. If I'm classed as crazy for this, I'd rather be crazy!  :thumb:

(Pay a little extra each month, rather than being ripped of for a couple of hundred to "buy out" of some con contract that a company might offer)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

colirv

Well I've decided to wait and see what's in the new packages, as I don't fancy putting all my eggs (broadband and phone) in the same possibly dubious basket for 18 months. I shouldn't have long to wait, as by my reckoning there's only just over three weeks of autumn left!
Colin

Simon

I have it on good authority that the new packages are being launched today. 

The bottom line is: no change to prices but bandwidth allowances have been doubled (and back-dated to 1st Nov).  More details to follow. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

The new packages are going live today.  Please continue discussions in this thread:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=32449

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.