ISP managed routers

Started by Ray, Sep 12, 2014, 11:22:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

I knew there was a good reason why I don't like ISP managed routers!
http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=17237
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

For instance the BT Home Hubs use TR069 ;)
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Sep 12, 2014, 11:29:19
For instance the BT Home Hubs use TR069 ;)
And the BT FTTC modems both Huawei and ECI...
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: Gary on Sep 13, 2014, 09:50:31
And the BT FTTC modems both Huawei and ECI...

Can you switch off remote management if you are not with BT?  EG if you're with iDNet for FTTC.  You could always switch it back on when reporting a fault.  My current router has the option of remote management but it's switched off.

Steve

The Huaweii will run modified firmware and I've perhaps naively thought that a third party router should protect against deficiencies in any modem firmware
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Sep 13, 2014, 10:49:29
Can you switch off remote management if you are not with BT?  EG if you're with iDNet for FTTC.  You could always switch it back on when reporting a fault.  My current router has the option of remote management but it's switched off.
BTOr or BTW still update modems via  TR069 It can be turned off easily on the HG612 and there are blobs out there for them, ECI not so much.

Tacitus

Which is the one used on current installs - the Huawei or the ECI?  Or is it pot luck which one you get?

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Sep 13, 2014, 19:16:25
Which is the one used on current installs - the Huawei or the ECI?  Or is it pot luck which one you get?
It used to be they tried to match modems to cabs, now its pot luck. I use an ECI because I get a better sync to my ECI cab than with a Huewai HG612.

pctech

Another good reason to source and manage ones own CPE

The Billion 8800NL has TR-069 capability but obviously it's disabled and has no ISP data in it.

Technical Ben

TP-Link got a hack a little while back, and that was via customers own browsers (cross site vuln IIRC). But then again, you get what you pay for I guess.  :dunno:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.