FTTC modem downstairs, router upstairs

Started by zappaDPJ, Sep 25, 2014, 11:08:38

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

I need advice on the best/easiest solution for having an FTTC router downstairs and the modem upstairs, preferably without resorting to WiFi or cables. I'm wondering if home plugs would provide the best solution?
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Sep 25, 2014, 11:08:38
I need advice on the best/easiest solution for having an FTTC router downstairs and the modem upstairs, preferably without resorting to WiFi or cables. I'm wondering if home plugs would provide the best solution?
you really should keep them close, you can get data extension kits at 30meters but since VDSL signals can get hit by RFI you need it hard wired. Home plugs can interfere with VDSL  and you should not use them at all to link a modem to a router, your line would be a mess. Only other option would be to get an all in once FTTC modem router tbh or move the whole lot downstairs and use extenders upstairs.Surely it would be easier to use homeplugs downstairs and leave everything else in place.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Lance

I can't see why home plugs wouldn't work. I know several people who have home plugs between devices and the router with fibre.

Lance
_____

Gary

Quote from: Lance on Sep 25, 2014, 11:30:53
I can't see why home plugs wouldn't work. I know several people who have home plugs between devices and the router with fibre.

Between devices yes not beween FTTC Modem and router. You need a cat 5E hard wired connection. Thats why BT offer the extension kit. You need to reduse noise betwen modem and router, to get best performance, homeplugs would not be great. After router yes they are fine. The further the signal travels from the modem the more it degrades which is why you should have it as close to the router as possible if you can.

Den

I agree with Gary. Home plugs are great but not between modem and router. Get an all in one modem/router and then purchase home plugs. I am using three home plugs in my house but two of them are used mainly for giving me a wired connection to my smart TVs and the other one is on the 1st floor for the iPads. I have a great signal all around the house doing it this way.  ;D
Mr Music Man.

Lance

But as long as the homeplugs are still able to connect at a speed in excess of the speed the modem is connected to the world at there isn't an issue is there? IE if the modem is connected at 80/20, as long as the home plugs are able to exceed that how is the connection degraded?
Lance
_____

psp83

I have my FTTC modem downstairs in the hall next to the phone socket, then an Ethernet cable from that, up in the wall to the office above the hall and into the router. I've had no issues.

I wouldn't use home plugs between router <> modem.

Steve

I thought the slightly tenuous argument against Homeplugs in this situation ie near the FTTC modem was RF interference affecting the nearby vdsl signal. Nothing wrong with a data extension cable at 30M if can cope with the route of the cable run. It is after all just an ethernet cable.

All in ones are fine as long as it suits your line, there's a risk that it may degrade the connection when compared to an OpenReach modem but there's only one way to find out.

I guess having a WiFi router in the loft is not ideal either.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

If the router was situated by the modem can home plugs be used to connect two PCs and network printer?
zap
--------------------

Steve

I do have a Homeplug a couple of feet away from the FTTC modem it's connected to the router and routes upstairs.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

OK, thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to have to play around a bit and see what works. Luckily it's not my problem if it all goes Pete Tong :evil:;D
zap
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Lance on Sep 25, 2014, 12:33:05
But as long as the homeplugs are still able to connect at a speed in excess of the speed the modem is connected to the world at there isn't an issue is there? IE if the modem is connected at 80/20, as long as the home plugs are able to exceed that how is the connection degraded?
Because homeplugs (or any other powerline networking) uses similar frequencies to VDSL. In some cases this could slow your connection down. The connection between router and modem should ideally be shielded to stop interference, your power cables are not, and a long run around your house would probably really degrade the VDSL signal. 

zappaDPJ

I should say I'm not too worried about some degradation in the signal. This is a truly dreadful ADSL2+ connection that syncs at under 3Mb/s which is being upgraded to 40/10 FTTC. I'd imagine if they can get 5Mb/s they would be over the moon ;D
zap
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Sep 26, 2014, 12:22:21
I should say I'm not too worried about some degradation in the signal. This is a truly dreadful ADSL2+ connection that syncs at under 3Mb/s which is being upgraded to 40/10 FTTC. I'd imagine if they can get 5Mb/s they would be over the moon ;D

Can you not drop a cable down (inside) the wall and either wire up Ethernet wall plates or just put a RJ45 end on each ?

Cheaper than homeplugs  :P

zappaDPJ

That wouldn't really be practical but I am considering running a cable externally.
zap
--------------------