Slowwww

Started by J!ll, Oct 16, 2014, 17:35:27

Previous topic - Next topic

J!ll

Yesterday support have asked for a speed profile reset request with BT, and explained it could take 10 days but may see some improvement within a few hours. I did another test and got this with a warning, could this be something happening? it's hard work doing anything at the moment.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=141348011553577492561

Simon

Have you rebooted the router since that event, Jill?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

J!ll

No, but have had quite a few disconnections yesterday.

Upstream   Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)   448   5152
Max Rate (Kbps)   1172   5152
SNR Margin (dB)   25   8.8
Line Attenuation (dB)   20   34.4
Errors (Pkts)   0   0

J!ll

J!ll

Ok done as asked, but has made no difference.

Steve

It's going as fast as it can Jill with the elevated margin, presumably it was raised due to the disconnections. The hard work is finding out why, I wouldn't reboot the router too often as it could make it worse. If the issue is external it may resolve itself and the DLM will drop the margin eventually and give you more downstream speed. If it's internal it's a matter of checking routers filters and using the test socket if you've got one.

I wonder though with the TBB result that the speed is present , it's not great but should be functional. Do you have any idea what the router stats used to be?
Steve
------------

J!ll

Ok thanks. Had the router only a couple of weeks so no don't remember what they used to be. I'm pretty sure it's not my end, so will just wait and see.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1413530395561672896 with a red warning lol.

J!ll

Upstream   Downstream
Current Rate (Kbps)   448   6272
Max Rate (Kbps)   1184   6272
SNR Margin (dB)   25   6.5
Line Attenuation (dB)   20.5   34.4
Errors (Pkts)   0   0

Steve

That's looking better but is it performing any better?
Steve
------------

J!ll

Yes it is. Just wondering if that is it? This is from BT's test.

Download speed achieved during the test was - 5.31 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.53 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.15Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

I also fitted BT iPlate, so will see.

Steve

You could try adsl2+ for a bit more throughput however I'd wait until your sure your line is stable.
Steve
------------

J!ll

Yes, I don't want to touch/change anything for the moment. We have some very high winds now, if I get a power cut that will not help  ;D Am not sure the iplate will help but it's worth a try!

QuoteSingle socket measuring 85mm x 85mm with a split faceplate. This is an NTE5 master socket with a removable lower plate that can be used with an ADSL faceplate or an I-Plate. This version has the BT Piper logo in the top left corner..
An I-Plate can be installed
This is my plate,  although I don't have any extensions it may help with noise? http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tools/phone-socket-comparison.html

J!ll

Hi Jill,

It seems to be as good as the line can really do according to the SNR value. The lowest that goes is 6 according to BT and the lower the SNR the higher the speed. Most likely only a tiny improvement can be gained at this point.

kind regards
Simon Mulliss
IDNet support

Ok well it's better, so cannot ask for more as line will not take it and there is nothing else in this village available yet.