Short disconnections since installation of fibre

Started by Noelle, Oct 16, 2014, 19:24:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

Hello,

I've been experiencing short - a minute max - disconnections since fibre was installed 3 weeks ago. I contacted Idnet support that told me that BT had configured my connection to go idle after 1 hour without using Internet and that the problem was now fixed.
I still have disconnections but idnet support told me that all lines are OK and that I need to change the router, that it can only be a wireless problem. What do you think?

Thanks!

Steve

Well it's possible , do you have a separate FTTC modem if so can you see the disconnection? If it remains connected are you dropping the PPPoE session which would suggest a router issue or configuration setting. WiFi can drop for a variety of reasons a temporary cable connection should eliminate that as a cause.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noelle

Yes, I have a separate FTTC modem which shows... no disconnections. It remains connected. How can I check a drop in a PPPo session? Your post is a little too technical for me  ;)

Steve

It should be in the router logs if the PPPoE session is being dropped. However support can see this which I presume is why WiFi is mentioned in your OP. However somewhere in the router settings will be a setting for keeping the session alive when idle.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Noelle

The router was preconfigured by idnet, I have no way to modify those settings - as far as I know.