New Packages from IDNet - Autumn 2014

Started by Simon, Nov 07, 2014, 11:17:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

I have had a message from Simon to say that new packages will be launched today:

"The bottom line is: no change to prices but bandwidth allowances have been doubled (and back-dated to 1st Nov).

We have trimmed the number of packages to four (from five) for both ADSL and FTTC. And we are now offering a truly unlimited package for each of ADSL and FTTC, but these packages are only available at enabled Exchanges.

We have also changed the way that the prices are presented. The 'headline' prices are all dependant upon payment by DD and also for taking Phone Line Rental from us as well. Of course, customers can pay by other means but that incurs a £1 surcharge. Equally customers can opt to not take the Phone Line Rental option but then that incurs a £6 surcharge.

This brings the presentation of IDNet's prices into line with what appears to be becoming the industry norm."
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

:thumb: that extra 100GB is just what I wanted. If I took the new line rental and call package to get the Fibre for £28.20 I would be worse off than I am now.  ::) so I'm not changing a thing. Other providers do unlimited for half the price of IDNet though now...
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

stevenrw

Good to see that they are available at last. This is pretty much what was hoped for I guess, and most people will now be a lot less inclined to jump ship.
Personally, it would take a great deal of upheaval for me to leave IDNet, 'coz they've been excellent over the years I've been with them, but I did feel, like many others, that they were gradually losing ground.
I'm glad I don't have to agonise any more and my contract is up for renewal by DD in a week's time, so for me the timing is great.
Here's to a few more trouble free years with IDNet!

Gary

Quote from: stevenrw on Nov 07, 2014, 13:40:07
This is pretty much what was hoped for I guess, and most people will now be a lot less inclined to jump ship.
Considering you can get unlimited fibre for half the price from other ISP's im not so sure on that  :eyebrow: for me I'm happy I'm back to a one month rolling contract.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

nowster

Are those of us on historic ADSL MAX packages going to get the extra bandwidth allowances too?

Tacitus

All this is pretty much as I expected - same price points but different allowances.

One thing that does surprise me is that they haven't put a 100Gb allowance as an "Up-to-38Mbps" midway between the 50Gb and 200Gb price points.  I can only assume they feel that they would lose more customers from the 200Gb tariff than they would gain from a slightly lower price point.

Checking the prices against Zen, they seem pretty competitive, although as others have pointed out compared to the big suppliers they really aren't that competitive at all.  Again compared to Zen, iDNet's out of office hours service does (or did - it may have improved) seem to be more of a message taking service rather than being staffed by people who can actually do something, so to my mind Zen scores in that department.

Fibre seems to be on the way round here with the RFS date set for end of December, assuming they activate the shiny new cabinet at the end of the road.  Based on these new prices I can't really see any overwhelming reason to leave, although given the rate of change in this industry that could change in another 12/18 months.

Simon

Quote from: nowster on Nov 07, 2014, 15:31:36
Are those of us on historic ADSL MAX packages going to get the extra bandwidth allowances too?

I've checked, and been told yes, you will.   :)
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

(Prices showing different, lower, here... is that right/wrong?)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Simon

From what I understand, the prices shown for Broadband Only would incur a £6 monthly surcharge if you don't also have your phone service with IDNet.  I'm not really sure why they've done it like that, as it doesn't make much sense to me to display a tariff that effectively doesn't exist, but don't quote me on it as I might have got it wrong. 
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Interesting. I'm on the old Home Pro so would it be a backward step to go for Lite? (I do have my phone with IDNet, by the way.)

Simon

Depends on your usage.  Lite would only give you half of the allowance you used to have with Pro.
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Quote from: Simon on Nov 07, 2014, 18:27:26
From what I understand, the prices shown for Broadband Only would incur a £6 monthly surcharge if you don't also have your phone service with IDNet.  I'm not really sure why they've done it like that, as it doesn't make much sense to me to display a tariff that effectively doesn't exist, but don't quote me on it as I might have got it wrong. 
I'll have to email Monday then. As I've got both, but due to a possible error on my part (forgot to tell them I was already a customer ;) ) I may have ended up with the line package separate from my BB package.

I currently pay for the Pro BB, and have line rental with IDNet. But "BB pro" shows as £18.60 on the website, I seem to be paying for the higher package at £28.20...

Simon

I would imagine the £28.20 is a Broadband + Phone package, Ben. 
Simon.
--

Steve

Steve
------------

Steve

Quote from: Simon on Nov 07, 2014, 19:17:38
I would imagine the £28.20 is a Broadband + Phone package, Ben.

Or the old FTTC pro or adsl pro plus broadband only inc vat.
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Simon

I'm sure they would still know that he had his phone with them as well. 
Simon.
--

colirv

Quote from: Simon on Nov 07, 2014, 18:27:26
From what I understand, the prices shown for Broadband Only would incur a £6 monthly surcharge if you don't also have your phone service with IDNet.  I'm not really sure why they've done it like that. 

As Simon's post says, it's the way other ISPs show it (the two others I've been looking at, anyway), so it makes it easier (well, not as hard!) to compare. I've decided to stick with IDNet for broadband when renewal comes up in January, but with the double bandwidth I can downgrade to 40/10. Having done the sums, even with the £6 surcharge the saving from moving my phone to IDNet would be minimal, so I shan't bother.
Colin

Technical Ben

Ah... Never mind my confusing ramblings. My online account shows the new price for next month also. So not sure if anyone else has noticed... prices have gone down!  ;D
(Price ex Vat)
QuoteMonthly Price:£15.50 (standard package retail price)
It was £21.50 (ex VAT) for me previously.

Simon

Yeah, but the £15.50 is without the £6 surcharge.  If you have phone and broadband, won't you be on one of the phone+broadband packages?  :stars:
Simon.
--

Technical Ben

I would assume then that currently the website is showing prices without the surcharge even on the BB only packages. If I add the £6, then they look about right for the old BB only prices.

Ah, found it in the small print:

QuoteAll prices are for payment by Direct Debit and taking IDNet Standard (or Premium) line rental. If you do not pay by Direct Debit a £1 per transaction charge will apply, if you do not take IDNet Standard (or Premium) line rental a £6 per month surcharge will apply.

Normally, prices advertised for "Broad band" are for "broad band" and not "Broad band (assuming packages)". I've not seen other companies advertise like this without specifically saying "£15.50 with our package". Putting it in the small print only, even though I currently benefit form it, is rather confusing for potential customers. Worse, getting a bill £6 (plus vat) more on their first payment, may get a few unwanted complaint calls?

Ah, so it IS cheaper if we take out IDNet line rental now? I kind of understand it now... still a strange way of advertising the prices mind... A quick glance suggests others advertise it as "discount when with our line rental" as suppose to "surcharge when not".  :dunno:

Simon

Well, I have to admit to being totally confused by it.  I don't see how they can double the bandwidth, yet reduce prices, but on the face of it, that's what appears to have happened.  I also have separate phone and broadband packages (both with IDNet), but I pay annually for both, so I can't really see what the monthly cost would be, as under my broadband package details it now says £15.50 per month, but under my phone package details, it just says 'Special'.
Simon.
--

peasblossom

Quote from: Simon on Nov 07, 2014, 19:09:59
Depends on your usage.  Lite would only give you half of the allowance you used to have with Pro.

Er, checking my bill again it actually says Home Plus. Ahem.  :blush:

(If it makes Ben feel better than someone else is rambling in a confused fashion though...)

Simon

Simon.
--

peasblossom

;D