FTTC and getting the master socket moved.

Started by adrinux, Nov 07, 2014, 10:26:18

Previous topic - Next topic

adrinux

About to upgrade to fibre and wondering about getting the master socket moved when its installed. We currently have the builders in and the room where the master socket is located* is changing to a bedroom. Would make more sense if it came into the living room (and save several miles of extension cable being routed round a freshly built and decorated room/hall).

So for those that have upgraded to fibre with idnet, how has your experience been when asking for the socket to be moved? Reading around online - for all the providers - it seems things are a bit mixed, from really helpful engineers to sheer bloody minded refusal.

I also just read about self install...hmmm.

* Currently its routed in via a rickety decrepit wooden porch that needs removed, connected up to a rats nest of cabling for an external ringer that's in the porch and then drilled through the bottom of a sash window and screwed to the windowsill. Its a horrible mess. More so now the builders have removed the windowsill and the extension is trailing about on the floor round half the house...

Steve

I'm sure you can but whether it's FOC I've no idea,support should know the answer.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

If you get a BT engineer they may do, if its a contractor doubtful. As to m oving it yourself, you cant because the socket is BT owned, the faceplate you can change, if you move the test part socket you are tampering with BT's equipment. On a good note you will get one of the new MK3 sockets, they replaced the MK2 this year, better REIN protection and less errors, I had my BT engineer friend change my MK2 for the Mk3 for me, so far its doing well. 
Damned, if you do damned if you don't