Fibre broadband and a tp-link wr1040nd router

Started by adrinux, Nov 03, 2014, 15:33:01

Previous topic - Next topic

adrinux

*Finally* fibre is available in my area, but proper technical information on what's required to connect seems thin on the ground. Lots of talk about 'adsl routers' not being compatible when they're probably talking about adsl modem/router combos.

I'm currently using a TP-Link WR1040nd router running openwrt which connects via ethernet using PPPoE to a Draytek Vigor 120 adsl modem.

My impression is that a fibre connection requires a router doing PPPoE, which of course mine is already doing and thus should be compatible – just swap the ethernet cable from the Draytek to whatever fibre modem is supplied ? Or is that built into the socket/not required?

Just trying to figure out whether I need any new equipment.

Steve

You are correct you shouldn't need anything else, OpenReach will supply the VDSL modem. Regarding the router, your predicted bandwidth and usage - a bottle neck can be caused by the router on fast FTTC connections if it doesn't have the CPU power to cope.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

adrinux

Thanks.

Since it has a 4 port gigabit ethernet switch built in I'd hope the CPU can handle the connection, but we'll see. More interested in faster uploads than downloads, it must be said.

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Nov 03, 2014, 16:33:52
You are correct you shouldn't need anything else, OpenReach will supply the VDSL modem. Regarding the router, your predicted bandwidth and usage - a bottle neck can be caused by the router on fast FTTC connections if it doesn't have the CPU power to cope.
BTOR from next year will not be supporting the modems it seems. http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/10/aaisp-angered-bt-openreachs-self-install-fttc-broadband-changes.html
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Steve

Perhaps it's time for me to stock up on Huawei VDSL modems. ;)
Steve
------------

Glenn

When moving, does the VDSL modem stay with the phone line or is it taken to the new house?
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Good question but I think the modem is your property.

I'm probably wrong as the last line here indicates it belongs to BT

http://www.aa.net.uk/broadband-FC.html

But then again there's plenty for sale on eBay.
Steve
------------

Lance

I took mine with me when I moved house, and then sold it on eBay when I didn't need it.
Lance
_____

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Nov 09, 2014, 10:45:52
Perhaps it's time for me to stock up on Huawei VDSL modems. ;)
I have a spare Huawei just need a spare ECI or three as that syncs best on my line with my ECI cab ;)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't