New Monitor

Started by stevenrw, Jan 06, 2015, 23:13:21

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenrw

Some advice please guys..
I'm looking at a new monitor and one that comes to the fore straightaway is the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M. It gets great reviews and is unusual in being 1920x1200.
The size is right, although I was also considering the Samsung Syncmaster S27D390H which is a bit bigger and a fair bit cheaper but gets a bit of bad press regarding build quality, and loss of detail when using 1920v1080 on a 27" panel.
I only use the monitor for general computing, surfing, occasionally watching DVD's and a bit of music so a gaming monitor is NOT what I'm looking for.
Apart from eliciting peoples views on the above I'm confused about the Dell's connectivity. The spec states DVI-D with HDCP. I've read a little about the HDCP thingy and it appears to relate to DRM type stuff, but how does this manifest itself when used for general computing or watching (presumably legit) rental DVD's?

Steve

Not up on monitors these days , however doesn't HDCP just allow you to view HDCP encrypted content on an authorised monitor . I would assume normal unencrypted content is viewable on any monitor whether it's HDCP compliant or not.

Regarding resolution wouldn't 2560 x 1440 be better on 27 inch
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.