Vectoring

Started by Tacitus, Jan 14, 2015, 11:12:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Anyone know if iDNet fibre is using vectoring?  I imagine this comes as provided (or not) by BT perhaps depending on the exchange, but it would be useful to know.  Alternatively is there anywhere I can find out?

Now I've got FTTC installed and running thanks to the ever helpful people at iDNet support, I'm in the happy position of playing around with modems and different firmware.

Can be quite enjoyable, if at times frustrating, on a cold dull day.....   ;D

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Jan 14, 2015, 11:12:49
Anyone know if iDNet fibre is using vectoring?  I imagine this comes as provided (or not) by BT perhaps depending on the exchange, but it would be useful to know.  Alternatively is there anywhere I can find out?

Now I've got FTTC installed and running thanks to the ever helpful people at iDNet support, I'm in the happy position of playing around with modems and different firmware.

Can be quite enjoyable, if at times frustrating, on a cold dull day.....   ;D
Vectoring is not used in the mainland UK at all at this time on fibre lines, it is in Ireland though. G.INP/PhyR is being rolled out as part of the DLM for Fibre lines only. BTOpenreach has been doing trials of Vectoring in a few places in the last two years, so it may happen this year but dont hold your breath ;) Modems have to Support G.INP/PhyR or be upgraded firmware wise.  ECI modems in the wild have been mostly updated but new ones in BT vans and warehouses and on ebay wont sync once your line is G.inp enabled if they have not been online and received the firmware update so a hardware fault will be registered and there will be no sync, and a DLM reset done so the ECI modem can download the firmware to use G.INP/PhyR. To be honest its not worth playing around with, if its working leave well alone, it tunes itself very well as is.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14822.msg277903#msg277903
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: Gary on Jan 14, 2015, 12:21:42
Vectoring is not used in the mainland UK at all at this time on fibre lines, it is in Ireland though. G.INP/PhyR is being rolled out as part of the DLM for Fibre lines only. BTOpenreach has been doing trials of Vectoring in a few places in the last two years, so it may happen this year but dont hold your breath ;)

I've noticed on Kitz that PhyR is being rolled out although this mainly applies to Broadcom based modems; I assume any non Broadcom will need to have it implemented in firmware.

BT gave me a Huawei so no doubt this will update automatically at some time if it hasn't already.  Since it is locked I can't tell.

My instinct is to leave well alone but I've got an Asus, a Zyxel and a Draytek available for testing.  I don't intend swapping them too quickly otherwise I'll upset the DLM.  So far the Asus and the Zyxel give more or less the same sync on this line so other than facilities there's nothing to choose.  Draytek are testing new firmware which allows for PhyR, so I'll leave that for a while.

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Jan 14, 2015, 12:45:40
I've noticed on Kitz that PhyR is being rolled out although this mainly applies to Broadcom based modems

All ECI and BT homehub 5s  use the Lantiq VRX268 chipset and I think have been updated now. Broadcom already use PhyR since 2008 as its their tech. If you have an ECI cab many noticed more errors running HG612's (broadcom hardware vs Lantiq)  New ECI modems need the DLM reset so they can download the firmware for G.INP/PhyR so its going to be a bit of a pain getting units from ebay etc. As you said once its up and running its best left to its own devices  :) I prefer modem and separate router but that's just my preference. It means I can swap routers upgrade firmware and not upset the DLM as the modem stays in sync.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't