Curious e-mails

Started by Clive, Jan 20, 2015, 09:08:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive

In the past few days I've received a spate of e-mails from contacts all headed with the date and time in the following format:  1/20/2015  10:46:17 pm.  The body of the message is just a link and every link is different.  Obviously I have no intention of clicking on any of the links but since I've received so many I'm assuming that it must be widespread.  I'm curious to know what the payload of these e-mails might be?

Simon

When you say 'from contacts', do you mean that they are appearing to come from your own contacts, Clive?  Is there anything in the subject line?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Clive

They are all people known to me and are on my e-mail contact list.  I know others who have received the same e-mail and that one can be traced back to one contact.  The subject line is the current date (US style) and the current time.  Each e-mail sends you to a different link which I assume is malicious.  If I was infected you would know what I am talking about.   :evil:

Simon

My guess is that someone on your contacts list has downloaded malware which is being spread via their contacts. 

It's not sheep again is it?  :evil:
Simon.
--

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Clive

Once I read about having to hold a sheep's pluck I abandoned the idea for making Welsh haggis.  i can't see Den being in favour either!  :laugh:  The point I'm trying to make Simon is that I've received similar e-mails from unconnected sources other than the fact they are in my contact list.  But I know others who have also received a possibly infected e-mail from one of the sources so it's definitely being spread about but hopefully not by me.