FTTC Modems/Routers

Started by Tacitus, Dec 03, 2014, 08:48:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

Quote from: mervl on Jan 03, 2015, 14:00:58
Expensive though, so perhaps for those with more money than sense. What do you need the all-in-one tech for?

I don't really *need* the all-in-one phone/router combo, but Fibre is being installed next week, hence a new router and I could also do with another phone, so it seemed worth looking at the Fritz.  I've also been looking at other routers together with one of the Gigaset phone range to replace my existing phone. Asus or Zyxel are top of the list, but given that Zyxel seem to be dragging their feet over the Misfortune Cookie, despite several of their range being implicated, makes me lean towards the Asus.  I can temporarily use an Apple Airport together with the BT modem, but I do need a VPN endpoint for work.

Gigaset phones appear to have a good rep and the combined price of the Asus/Gigaset combo would be significantly less than a 7390 with one of the FritzFON handsets.  AFAICT you need one of the latter if you want to control the router remotely and pick up messages; other DECT handsets allow you to make/answer calls via the 7390 but not much more.

On balance I'll go for the Asus/Gigaset, although if the 7390/FritzFON combo wasn't so expensive (best I could find is around £250 for the pair) I'd probably go for that as they seem well built, reliable and do what it says on the box.

mervl

Quote from: Tacitus on Jan 03, 2015, 15:40:10
the FritzFON handsets.  AFAICT you need one of the latter if you want to control the router remotely and pick up messages; other DECT handsets allow you to make/answer calls via the 7390 but not much more.

I use basic DECT handsets with the Fritz! which can pick up messages from the router and make internal "calls" between themselves, and the router can be controlled from any PC remotely, or on a mobile phone, with the relevant free app, and the mobile phone can also act as a DECT phone when in reach of the router's wifi. VOIP is good too. The other models you mention are more modern, though, and seem to suit you better. Why go for functionality you don't need when it costs you more? The main point of the FritzFon seems to me if you want colour photomessaging, hifi call quality and to use it as an internet radio!