Migration from BT

Started by Foddy, Feb 12, 2015, 09:59:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Foddy

Hi all,

I'm new here, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I'm currently on BT Infinity FTTC 80/20 and I asked for the MAC for my line on Friday with the intention of moving to IDNet. Over the weekend, I noticed that my download speed had dropped from a pretty reliable 76-78Mbps to 25-26Mbps. The interface graphs are dead flat, so this looks like a fixed restriction somewhere, rather than contention. Upload has dropped a little (16 from 19).

It's been a few days now, and this hasn't changed; I'm guessing that this isn't the normal reaction from BT for asking for a MAC, at least I can't find many people complaining about it online. There is an exchange fault listed (St Albans), but that was from this morning and I've not got a complete loss.

So, my question is - once I finally get the MAC through, should I continue with migration, or is it worth trying to get BT to fix the problem first?

Thanks,

Richard

Simon

Hi Richard, and  :welc:

Someone more technical than myself will be along to answer this soon. 

In the meantime, if it was me, I might be tempted to give IDNet a quick call, explain the situation, and see if they can run any tests on your line.  They may be able to tell from that if anything needs fixing prior to migration.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I think Simon is correct , give them a call. Any local issues are likely to follow you unless a fault is found and repaired
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

mervl

Is it this? https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/fault-outage-details.aspx?reference=6362

That Zen page (the main page above it) is usually good with faults on the BTw network,, and the subsequent progress reports, as well as planned maintenance. IDNet get the same details too, and have an intermittent RSS feed that gives the same details. Andrews and Arnold have a page that reports their own monitoring off the BT network too. None of it helps with problems on the local loop from you to the exchange though which need a line test by the ISP or possibly an engineer visit - though Bt OR have their own monitoring too which usually picks up faults in my locality, at least.

Foddy

Thanks for the answers, I'll give IDNet a call once I get my MAC.

I don't think it's that fault, as I've not had a loss of service, just a consistently downgraded speed for about 5 days now.

Cheers,

Richard

davej99

Quote from: Foddy on Feb 12, 2015, 09:59:30
I'm currently on BT Infinity FTTC 80/20 and I asked for the MAC for my line on Friday with the intention of moving to IDNet.

Hi Richard,

While we are waiting for an update on your problem, can I ask why you are moving from BT to IDNET? I have found IDNET to be really good, but introductory offers and unlimited downloads make BT look attractive. I guess there is more to it?

Dave

Foddy

Quote from: davej99 on Feb 13, 2015, 11:28:18
Hi Richard,

While we are waiting for an update on your problem, can I ask why you are moving from BT to IDNET? I have found IDNET to be really good, but introductory offers and unlimited downloads make BT look attractive. I guess there is more to it?

Dave
Hi - I called IDNet this morning, and was told that issues should be picked up in the line check during migration, so I've gone ahead with it. Hopefully all will go well ...

I've been with BT a couple of years, and it's been OK, but nothing special. Reasons for changing:

• I really hate being billed quarterly.
  • I think I will be using less than 200GB, so it'll be something like £4 cheaper for me.
  • The lack of a static IP address is a bit frustrating at times
  • IPv6

The top three were reasons to leave BT, and the last one was the reason I picked IDNet (along with checking reputation etc.)