Zen interconnects

Started by mervl, Mar 30, 2015, 18:19:01

Previous topic - Next topic

mervl

Perhaps interesting suggestion (industry rumour) on ISP Review that IDNet may be utilising Wholesale backhaul from Zen's expanded PoP network as an alternative to BT Wholesale. Commercial confidentiality, no doubt; but any truth in the rumour, is it nationwide and improving the historic network dropout/packet loss problems?  :fingers:

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Have been back with Zen and connected to one of their POPs since March last year and my line has been far stable than it ever was with BT Wholesale.

https://www.zen.co.uk/latest-news/zen-internet-invests-in-local-exchange-pop-network-to-deliver-ethernet-services.aspx

Here's the ISP Review article

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/03/uk-isp-zen-internet-begins-offering-full-wholesale-solution.html

mervl

If there's any truth in the rumour and anyone is interested, SamKnows now seem to have the list of exchanges benefitting. Mines not on it, but some strange local places are and it doesn't always seem to be those with the greatest proportion of business premises as i thought, though some obvious suspects are!

Gary

If it works it works it works, I'm not attached to any Zen pop and my line seems pretty damn stable, and to be honest where IDNet get their backhaul from is as interesting as watching paint dry...
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: mervl on Mar 30, 2015, 22:52:59
If there's any truth in the rumour and anyone is interested, SamKnows now seem to have the list of exchanges benefitting. Mines not on it, but some strange local places are and it doesn't always seem to be those with the greatest proportion of business premises as i thought, though some obvious suspects are!
Does SamKnows have a separate complete list of Zen's PoPs or do you find it via the exchange search?  Checking a couple near me I was surprised to find some I thought would be on the list weren't and one that I regarded as a minor exchange was.  Not really sure of the logic in that, but I suppose they know what they're doing :)

Interesting that Zen have ambitions of taking on the big boys and I have wondered at what point they will cut prices, even if they don't join the race to the bottom.

tomp

I was told by support yesterday (via Simon Davies) that they are using Zen interconnects for their FTTC Unlimited package, which is why it is listed as "*** Unlimited package is only available at certain exchanges. " on their web site. However most customers are still on BT Wholesale.

pctech

Quote from: Gary on Mar 31, 2015, 07:40:36
If it works it works it works, I'm not attached to any Zen pop and my line seems pretty damn stable, and to be honest where IDNet get their backhaul from is as interesting as watching paint dry...

That is the way it should be Gary, my own experience has been far better on an LLU circuit than a BTW one but that is down to the line management really.