ASA upholds seven complaints against Virgin Media

Started by Rik, Aug 01, 2007, 15:05:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Rik

It seems that the war of words between VM and Sky has deteriorated to the point of silliness now, the ASA has upheld a complaint by Sky and a member of the public on seven counts.

The full judgement can be read here:

http://www.asab.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_42958.htm
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

After reading through the judgement, it seems fair to me.
Lance
_____

Rik

I agree, Lance. The war of words between VM and Sky, otoh, reminds me of a playground fight.  ::)
Rik
--------------------

Lance

Indeed it des. The problem though is that with playground fights, you can normally tell who the winner is going to be!
Lance
_____

Rik

Mmm. Murdoch vs Branson - too hard to call. :) (Though I'd be inclined to put my money on the Aussie!)
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Murdoch owns half of the planet ;D, mainly media based, no contest.

I note that he has just got approval for yet another Newspaper buy out in the USA.
Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

Rik

I wonder if the Wall Street Journal will be gaining page 3 pinups?
Rik
--------------------

Inactive

Anything and everything that I post on here is purely my opinion, it ain't going to change the world, you are under no obligation to agree with me, it is purely my expressed opinion.

RobMc

With all this going on, it will be interesting to see if the new Virgin 1 TV Channel will appear on the Sky lineup after it's launch on Freeview. LOL, the press release refers rather indirectly to it being available on satellite.  :D

Rob.

Rik

I think BSkyB has a duty to carry any service that can pay, Rob, but I can imagine the negotiations would be quite 'edgy'. If the two sides posture much more, they run the risk of boring the customers. :(
Rik
--------------------

RobMc

I think if these negotiations were covered by tv, it would be a lot more entertaining than all of the other "reality" tv on the air at the moment  :laugh:

Rob.

Lance

I agree, Rob. It would be fun watching the arguements!
Lance
_____

Inactive

Murdoch ( Sky )  has also just purchased Amstrad from Alan Sugar, not the finest brand name around. ::)

Inactive

Quote from: RobMc on Aug 01, 2007, 18:36:37
I think if these negotiations were covered by tv, it would be a lot more entertaining than all of the other "reality" tv on the air at the moment  :laugh:

Rob.

Indeed Rob, we seem to be emulating what happened in the USA, loads of channels with nothing to watch.

Rik

Quote from: Inactive on Aug 01, 2007, 21:42:54
loads of channels with nothing to watch.

It's something about TV company 'brains' that I have never understood, they keep launching new channels without increasing the number of programmes being made. As a Sky subscriber, I can now watch the same programme, if not episode, on multiple channels each week. It almost renders Sky+ obsolete. :(
Rik
--------------------

MoHux

Quote from: Rik on Aug 02, 2007, 08:17:05
It's something about TV company 'brains' that I have never understood, they keep launching new channels without increasing the number of programmes being made. As a Sky subscriber, I can now watch the same programme, if not episode, on multiple channels each week. It almost renders Sky+ obsolete. :(

Yes Rik, but it means that channel is then not available to their competitors!  >:D

The fault is with those that allocate the channels, they should write in that a certain amount/more new material is broadcast per ****.

:crazy: :crazy:
"It's better to say nothing and be thought an idiot - than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Rik

It would be nice if every new channel operator had to commission programme material, Mo, but unless the Govt regulates for it, I can't see it happening. Certainly, Sky can't enforce that on other channels as they have a duty to carry anyone who can pay - hence we have MKTV!! :(

Rik
--------------------