IDNet network problems

Started by Gary, Apr 15, 2015, 16:58:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

On the subject of latency any noticed a drop in speed this morning and sort of now? This is IDNets own TBB meter and you can see the red curtain descending I'm down to 39Mbps from 63Mbps

Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Ray

Yes, Gary, I've seen this a few times recently on my connection, roll on Friday when I switch to FTTC hopefully it'll disappear  :fingers:

this is my TBB graph for today: -

Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I've seen another couple of IDNet connections doing the same.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

My connection has been dreadful for a couple of weeks or more. When I attempted to download my email last night, it stalled and wouldn't let me reconnected to the server because it thought I was still connected. Basically I can't stay connected to anything and my BQM shows why.

I've not managed to get through to support yet but I'll try again tomorrow.
zap
--------------------

Bill

I thought it was just my connection...

It started about a month ago and has been getting slowly worse... I've been on to support for a week or so, they say they cant see anything wrong :mad:

I have to say that I don't think support are as helpful as they used to be when I joined.

edit- I didn't realise it was also showing on IDNet's own BQM :eyebrow:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Quote from: Bill on Apr 15, 2015, 18:31:17
It started about a month ago and has been getting slowly worse...

Partly for my own "amusement" I've been compiling a document showing my BQMs since the beginning of March (a bit before it started going pear-shaped), I've converted it to pdf and there's a link here for anyone interested (it's only about 1.3MB).

Does the pattern look familiar to anyone?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

Looks similar to what we had 18 months ago to me, packet loss during working hours!
Steve
------------

Bill

Yes, it reminds me very much of that too :(
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

I have a similar pattern but to be honest I've given up on it. I'll be moving soon and I've decided when I do I'll go with two connections, one with Sky which is pretty much free and one with another cheap provider. I've had so much down time since I've been with IDNet I've decided to go for uptime rather than quality of connection. And to be honest the quality of connection has been dire anyway.
zap
--------------------

Bill

Can't say I blame you, but generally I've been quite happy with IDNet and down time hasn't been a problem for me.

But at the moment I'm getting sub-TalkTalk quality for IDNet prices, support are either stonewalling or being evasive and I'm not happy :mad:

I don't want to leave IDNet, and nor do I want to switch suppliers and find myself with the same problem along with a year's contract... but AAISP will allow you to leave for free if you migrate in with a problem they can't fix. It's something to be considered.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Speed test performed a couple of minutes ago:

It's an 80/20 line :bawl:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

It's different than last time seeing packet loss late evening as well, I can see a BT and a Plusnet TBBQM neither of which are showing any packet loss.
Steve
------------

Bill

I should have read your earlier post a bit more carefully.

This is very similar to the problem that Zap and I (at least) were having about a year ago, not 18 months. Sorry about that :red:

That was solved (for me) by switching me to a non-BT SVLAN (don't know who, it's NDA'd), but it means I can't blame BT this time :dunno:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

zappaDPJ

To be honest I'd relish a TalkTalk grade internet connection right now. I've been trying to carry out a minor server upgrade tonight but I just can't do it. My other half can't access her email and my daughter can't stay logged into her university portal (not good while she's revising for her finals).

I was going to keep this to myself but what the hell. I did have cause to ring IDNet support about a month ago as I had no connection whatsoever. The level of support I received was so bad I actually asked if I was talking to out of hours support. IDNet seem to be going down the pan.

zap
--------------------

Bill

The similarity between your BQM and mine is depressingly striking... especially just before 9am.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

I had a situation where my wan port seems to provide no throughput, I assumed it was my router but its not, a second router shows the same stalls and nothing is listed in the logs. Since I am no longer in contract with FTTC now I could move to Zen, I wont go to Sky because I refuse to be forced or have to faff about as you have to use their dire router. I also wont go to BT as I cannot abide out sourced telephone support, that's just my own personal view. So Zen it would have to be and I loath entering new contracts. I have not contacted IDnet over this but maybe a mention on facebook which seems to draw attention may be in order.  :eyebrow: <sigh> Just noticed my line dropped totay at 15:18 not sure but its possible that the ECI rollout for G.inp may be underway, or just a glitch.

Bill

Quote from: Gary on Apr 15, 2015, 23:02:25... but maybe a mention on facebook which seems to draw attention may be in order.  :eyebrow: <sigh>

I hadn't thought of that :D

But I don't have a Facebook (or Twitter) account anyway...

I thought about Zen but they don't do IPv6... along with that and wanting a static IP sure does cut down the options :eek4:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

I was berated last time I did that  :evil: odd that I had a drop at 3pm today, seems in line with G.inp but I don't know if the ECI rollout has started, I lost about 1 Mb so nothing to moan about apart from that not much has changed,  :dunno: Since I cannot unlock a ECI modem I cant see if G.inp has been added. All I can say is as you mentioned bill the options are not that great and I was totally happy with my connection.

Bill

Quote from: Gary on Apr 15, 2015, 23:24:44
I was berated last time I did that  :evil:

Stuff that... I work on a simple principle- I'll stop complaining about IDNet when IDNet stop doing things to complain about.

I wondered about G.inp... I've got a Huawei modem so in theory I could check for G.inp, but I cba'd to unlock it ;D No doubt it would give me a lot of information about my connection, but there's sod all I could do about it so why bother? :dunno:

The symptoms are wrong anyway- it hasn't happened suddenly- slowly got worse over the last month or thereabouts, and the abrupt onset at ~9am and the consistent improvement just before midnight makes me think of one thing only- insufficient bandwidth somewhere.

If it's not in the carrier I've been transferred to then it's in IDNet, and if neither of them can see it then it's because they're not looking hard enough.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Agreed, the drop I had today could have been G.inp on ECI cabs, but the latency issue today and recently smacks of IDNet again letting things possibly slide as before. Since their own BQM shows the issue they cant have much in the way to argue about, if this turns into a charade again of they said we said I'm just going to move on sadly. Plusnet seem to be having issues at this time as well acording to some at TBB. There is also a lot of BT works going on at places like Faraday.

Gary

Just spoke to support, sent them the TBB BQM from yesterday showing the packet loss and they said they could not see any issues  :eyebrow: What can I say, its there in blood red!

Steve

Bricks normally are, it's not as if people have been down this path before either!
Steve
------------

Bill

It disappoints me to say it but I'm not particularly surprised, IDNet seem to be in full denial mode.

I can't help wondering if they want to get shot of the consumer ISP side of the business and have decided to simply stop supporting it.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Quote from: Bill on Apr 16, 2015, 11:11:59
It disappoints me to say it but I'm not particularly surprised, IDNet seem to be in full denial mode.

I can't help wondering if they want to get shot of the consumer ISP side of the business and have decided to simply stop supporting it.
It makes you wonder, Might have to have a chat with Zen. Saying that looking on psp83's BQM monitor there is red on that, not as bad as IDNets but its still there.

Bill

Quote from: Gary on Apr 16, 2015, 11:17:36Might have to have a chat with Zen.

Ditto me and AAISP... but RevK's blog isn't encouraging :(

It's possible that the source of the problem isn't with IDNet (though I'll take a lot of convincing) but in that case they should bloody well say so- I think that most of us are mature enough to acknowledge that sh*t happens, and make judgements based on how it's dealt with rather than the event itself.

So far IDNet aren't showing up too well.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6