Would IDNet BB remove stupid BT ADSL Max

Started by mk1, Aug 05, 2015, 17:23:44

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

So I'm an currently stuck on BT BB but the recent price rise announcement provides me an opportunity to escape :). My issue is that I have moved to a new build which has been connected to a new cabinet. The new cabinet right next to the old one apparently only supports ADSL Max, even though my understanding was that it was the exchange that holds the ADSL equipment! The older cabinet right next to the new one supports both ADSL2+ and fibre! According to Openreach via BT I cannot get any improvement in my line, although I suspect this is due to lack of equipment at the BT end, if I changed back to IDnet LUU would I be able to get ADSL2+ or is it that my line is stuck on ADSL Max? I've ranted a bit on the BT forum which includes some further details e.g line stats and cabinet numbers: https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/New-Connection-to-a-new-build-Capped-on-ADSLMax/m-p/1489327

Any quick response/ideas on this would be much appreciated I have less than 30days to put in a switch and I'll have to decide if I want to stump up the initial costs IDnet charge.

Steve

I think you need to speak to IDNet themselves, perhaps I'm out of touch but I thought ADSL2+ was exchange based. LLU I'm not sure who they're using these days but that would depend also on any exchange availability.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

nowster

It may depend on which frame each cabinet runs to in the exchange. It might be that the exchange is split. Again, LLU might be dependent on where and how the cables are routed.

Gary

Cabinets are generally the normal street pop then with a fibre cab added to it. The exchange dictates ADSL2+ and ADSL, the fibre cabinet obviously acts as a dslam which is nearer the user hence faster speeds. You can look up on samknows what is available at your local exchange as far as users, like Sky, TalkTalk if its LLU enabled etc.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

mk1

So to update everyone, made the switch to IDnet today, and not surprised that by sync speed doubled! from 8mb to 16mb, even though BT insisted there was nothing they could do with the speed/ADSLMAX cap they for some reason applied to my line!! Glad BT provided me an free exit!

Technical Ben

Nice!  :thumb: I only trust proper engineers and professionals, not these BT "experts". :P
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.