Anybody with Virgin Media?

Started by stevenrw, May 20, 2015, 23:01:55

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenrw

I've been with IDNet since 2007 and have been using their FTTC package for the last couple of years. I have to say that the service has been exemplary and the switch between ADSL and FTTC also went without a hiccup. Furthermore I'm on a legacy phone package which is pretty cheap. I thought it would take something pretty serious for me to consider switching but I'm a bit stuck with speed because of location. The best I can get through Infinity is about 25-30meg which in turn limits the package that I can choose from IDNet.
So since I already have TV with Virgin (I switched from Sky about 18 months ago) and I'm in an area where I could get (if I needed it, which I don't) 152meg I thought I'd see what they could offer and the deals they offer really do look to good to ignore. I can get faster speed 50 or even 100meg for less than I currently pay IDNet even after the "reduced price for 12 months" offer.
Now I know you are gonna say things like "you get what you pay for" and other such disparaging comments and you really are preaching to the converted on that, but looking at straight comparisons on the Think Broadband site, IDNet does come out consistently better but you do have to consider the sample size which may be skewing the results slightly.
VM have had some bad press in the past, but so did Santander bank when they took over Abbey and Alliance but they turned that around completely.
So, is anybody with VM now or does anybody have any current views on their performance? Bearing in mind you will always find anecdotal evidence to big up or push down a supplier.
I'm not ready to jump ship for a while yet, and I'm really agonising over the decision but it could save me over £200 in the first year (more if you factor in free F-Secure AV for 12 months) whilst benefitting from 4 times the speed I currently get.

nowster

In my experience, most of the time "it just works". I wouldn't personally use their SuperHub in wireless hub mode, but I hear reports that it's fine if you set it up just as a modem. I've been with them long enough to have a cable modem, not a SuperHub.

zappaDPJ

I interact with quite a large number of people on a very regular basis who are with Virgin Media (cable) and I've done so for many years. I'd say their service appears at least as reliable as any other with generally very good throughput (depending on data type) coupled with low latency. The main criticism I hear (and I used to hear it a lot) is that contrary to what they might state in their terms, they do traffic shape in order to severely limit P2P and newsgroup traffic. In the past this had unintentional consequences for some gaming traffic which was also shaped making on-line gaming for some games virtually impossible due to high latency.

The other criticisms I hear is that they block quite a large number of sites including all those listed by Internet Watch Foundation and that their support centre is quite poor. Other than that my impression is that they generally provide a more reliable service than those which run on Openreach services especially where those services are limited by infrastructure.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.