photoshop

Started by Baz, Jul 19, 2015, 16:45:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

does any one use photoshop. which is the best version to start with on windows 7

zappaDPJ

I use it but the only version available to you is the current version residing on their Creative Cloud platform which you'll pay for on a monthly/yearly basis. Photoshop is no longer available as a boxed product.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

I'm still using an old version of Photoshop Elements.  It's one of the reasons I want to hold onto Windows 7 as I doubt that it, and another couple of older programs I use all the time, would work on Windows 10.
Simon.
--

john

I don't do any image manipulation and don't use Photoshop but have you also looked at 'The Gimp' http://www.gimp.org which I understand is quite powerful although I'm not sure how it compares with Photoshop in both features and ease of use but it is free and maybe worth trying.

There is a review here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_gimp#Professional_reviews

zappaDPJ

GIMP compares very well with Photoshop. I haven't looked at it for some while but I believe it's still being maintained and it's remarkable for a free product. One word of warning though; if you do decide to look at it make sure you download it from the official site. If you download it elsewhere it's likely to come loaded with added spyware, adware or even malware.
zap
--------------------

colirv

I don't know how many editing features you're after, but for my simple needs I've found Paint.net pretty good. Might be worth a look.
Colin

nowster

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Jul 20, 2015, 05:34:08
GIMP compares very well with Photoshop. I haven't looked at it for some while but I believe it's still being maintained and it's remarkable for a free product. One word of warning though; if you do decide to look at it make sure you download it from the official site. If you download it elsewhere it's likely to come loaded with added spyware, adware or even malware.
One little problem with GIMP is that it's still 8 bits per colour internally, whereas most professional products have been 16 bits per colour for a few years now.

Baz

Its for my son in his work at a tattoo studio, they already use it in the studio but he would like to get familiar with it and use it in own time at home too. Ive looked at Paint before and Gimp...Gimp seems ok but he prefers to stick with the same software that the studio use