0845 0870 call no longer inclusive?

Started by davej99, Aug 26, 2015, 12:36:40

Previous topic - Next topic

nowster

Quote from: MisterW on Aug 27, 2015, 19:43:45
0845 & 0870 calls are STILL included in PlusNet packages.
PlusNet is BT with a Yorkshire accent.

Gary

Quote from: MisterW on Aug 27, 2015, 19:43:45
0845 & 0870 calls are STILL included in PlusNet packages.
Companies have to provide a alternative number now, under new regulations. Going http://www.saynoto0870.com/ will get you pretty much all of them.

"Dialling a number that starts 0870, 0845, 0871 or 0844 should ring alarm bells. They generally cost far more than a call to a normal 01, 02 or 03 number – but you can slash the cost to zero.

Thanks to regulations introduced in 2014, these expensive numbers are less common than they used to be, yet you may still find them in certain cases – such as a bank helpline or a sales line for an energy company or travel firm. Not only do you have to pay, the company you're speaking to may profit from the call – even if you're calling to complain"

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/0870-say-no
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: mervl on Aug 27, 2015, 09:51:33
I did get a notification e-mail about this a few months back. Have you all kept IdNet up to date with your current e-mail address?

I've just done a search of my emails over the last 12 months and can't find anything about the revised charges - iDNet do have my address.

nowster

Customer service lines nowadays are forbidden to use numbers that charge more than a normal call to a landline (in all respects).

mervl

Quote from: Tacitus on Aug 28, 2015, 09:48:07
I've just done a search of my emails over the last 12 months and can't find anything about the revised charges - iDNet do have my address.

Well, this is a copy of what I received:

Sent 10th June 2015 0004 from IDNet Phone [support@idnet.com]:
Price Change Notification For 08/09/118 Numbers
From 1 July 2015, the regulator Ofcom is changing the way you're charged for numbers starting 084,087,09 & 118 (including 0845/0870). The changes are designed to make the cost of calls clearer, and they're being shared through a campaign called UK Calling. Details of how IDNet are implementing these changes can be found on our Special Services page [linked in the e-mail].
If you wish to discuss any matter concerning this email or your phone service please contact us at support@idnet.net or on 0800 331 7000
Kind regards,
IDNet

For some reason though MS do put IDNet e-mails into my junk folder!  :eyebrow:

sparky

Well, I have an idnet email address and have had since I joined idnet years ago.

I never received such an email, but I now know why my phone bill this month was more than my inclusive package, it would appear that one of us dialed an 0845 number.

:'(

Thought they were included when I changed my package. This sucks.

Gary

Quote from: sparky on Aug 28, 2015, 19:38:34
Thought they were included when I changed my package. This sucks.
How does it exactly suck, you just need to find the alternative numbers and use them from now on, which are still free, it means doing 5 mins of legwork online, hardly a disaster  :eyebrow:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

davej99

Quote from: Gary on Aug 28, 2015, 23:34:35
How does it exactly suck, you just need to find the alternative numbers and use them from now on, which are still free, it means doing 5 mins of legwork online, hardly a disaster  :eyebrow:
That is a useful workaround. However, it requires everyone using the house phone to go on-line and find alternative numbers if they are not provided on the stationary. That is not so easy for some elderly and for busy mums and teenagers, which is why I have always bought voice from fixed line carriers that include 0870 and 0845 numbers in their inclusive packages, and why I have not moved voice over to IDNET, much as I would like to. Some tech support geographic alternative numbers are very well hidden and frequently changed to prevent use. But it is a personal choice.

nowster

Quote from: davej99 on Aug 31, 2015, 14:30:09Some tech support geographic alternative numbers are very well hidden and frequently changed to prevent use. But it is a personal choice.
This is now illegal. After-sales support has to be on a non-premium number. 08xx numbers (except 0800 and 0808) are effectively premium rate numbers now for the purposes of that legislation.

mervl

Any one tried the Android app WeQ4U? I've had it on the mobile for several months but have never yet found an excuse to ring an 08xx number. The say no to 0870 app too, acts an an aide memoire, but is more basic.

As with so much it's OK making regulations on everything but how are they enforced? Your phone service provider is normally the "innocent" victim bill payer as much as the end consumer. The regulator will make you amend your stationery . . . yeah, right. Or give you a fine, yeah wait for the bill then (and the default notice and the representations and the appeal the case law and and so on ad infinitum . . . ). I'm afraid we all think the law is an ass, and treat it accordingly.