dLan Powerline Plugs

Started by Tacitus, Aug 31, 2015, 10:42:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacitus

A friend has asked me for some advice on networking.  They're on Sky Fibre (they already have Sky so the complete package is a good deal for them) and are likely to do a fair amount of video streaming and downloads.  Whilst wireless *may* work effectively, they're in an area where interference could be a problem.

Since cabling is going to be too much disruption, I thought Powerline plugs were possibly the solution.  Could someone with some experience of these suggest the best of the Powerline plugs?  I believe Devolo have a good rep, although there are others from Netgear and Zyxel.  I know throughput can be a problem with the basic models, but are the faster ones worth the extra money bearing in mind that video streaming is likely to be the main use?

One other point.  I believe Sky block certain common ports on their routers, such that you are effectively forced to use their email servers rather than your own domain.  Is this true?  Seems a bit unlikely but this is Sky we are talking about.

All comments appreciated.

[EDIT]  To answer the latter point about port blocking I've just seen a thread over on TBB which suggests the answer is no, you can use your own domain email with Sky.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/sky/f/4305741-beware-moving-to-sky-if-you-have-your-own-domain.html

nowster

TP-Link seem to work OK, though I have had a failure after 18 months.

Do put them directly into the wall socket -- a unit with a through socket may help here.

Do not put them on the end of an extension cable or a multiway -- throughput is markedly reduced.

john

I use TP-Link power line adapters and have used them on extension strips, I don't know if the throughput is reduced or not but I'm able to stream HD video okay anyway.

nowster

Quote from: john on Sep 01, 2015, 16:34:51
I use TP-Link power line adapters and have used them on extension strips, I don't know if the throughput is reduced or not but I'm able to stream HD video okay anyway.
HD video only needs about 15Mbps.

Tacitus

Quote from: nowster on Sep 01, 2015, 08:17:55
Do not put them on the end of an extension cable or a multiway -- throughput is markedly reduced.
I would have thought they were OK on an extension provided it isn't excessively long or in particular, one of those with surge protection.  The latter would probably filter out the signal.

If they do have a problem with the wireless signal I'll look around.  TP-Link do appear to be getting a decent reputation, but Devolo seem to be the market leaders.

nowster

Quote from: Tacitus on Sep 01, 2015, 17:25:57
I would have thought they were OK on an extension provided it isn't excessively long or in particular, one of those with surge protection.  The latter would probably filter out the signal.

Many of these units have a (Windows-only) diagnostics program that comes with them on a CD. That's helpful for working out the best placement of the units.

I seem to remember that I couldn't get a link if I plugged into an extension reel, and the link when one end was in a four-way short extension was at a much lower speed than if it was plugged directly into the wall socket.

Tacitus

Quote from: nowster on Sep 02, 2015, 08:08:19
Many of these units have a (Windows-only) diagnostics program that comes with them on a CD. That's helpful for working out the best placement of the units.
I think they're using Macs.....    :(