New wireless modem/router

Started by camdave, Aug 28, 2015, 20:07:57

Previous topic - Next topic

camdave

I/we have two desktops, a tablet and a Chrome laptop, the latter is not used on a daily basis.
My current N300 modem/router has an adequate signal strength all over our (fairly small) house and in the garden.
We get occasional dropouts which I am inclined to think are due to outside events.

Is there any advantage in upgrading to an N600/dual band device or even (looking ahead) an 'ac' model or is it a case of 'if it aint broke' .......... ?

I would be looking for a unit as small and discrete as possible due to the fact it has to be positioned in full view in our living room.

Gary

Small and discrete wont give you a great signal, that why many routers these days have large external aerials. Mr R7000 (not an all in one) covers my garden and entire bungalow I don't have any not spots. No point in buying AC routers without AC equipment really, although they do help legacy equipment on 5Ghz get a better signal, and also some of them help 2.4Ghz as well but they tend to be large and not discreet, you cant really have it both ways.  I would be more inclined to add home plugs or wireless extenders in your situation. Of better still run some cable and use a network switch.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't