Alternative email reader to Thunderbird

Started by Broadback, Sep 11, 2015, 09:08:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

I have been a long time fan and user of Thunderbird but recently it seems unable to display remote information. This is proving to be a PITA. I have tried all the suggestions I can find to no avail, I know I am not alone with this problem. So I am seriously considering moving on, any suggestions for an alternative email/news reader please?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

stevenrw

Pick up a copy of the latest ComputerActive mag (Issue 458). Apparently TBird has been dodgy for some time.
Look at MS Outlook (the new version that is) - you also get free access to online Word Excel etc. I've been using it for a good while as I've had a Hotmail account since forever.
Easy to use, good clear interface, easy to sync other accounts to it (Gmail etc)

Broadback

Thanks for the suggestion stevenrw, however I find the cost rather high. However I have tried Inky, which as I am not familiar with is giving me few problems, but generally seems OK.
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

stevenrw

Outlook is free Broadback, you are looking at the email client which was also called MS Outlook. I think it is actually called Windows Live Mail. https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29224 altough it is confusing because the email I use is Outlook.com, which is where you need to set up your MS account for acces to a (W8 and later) machine. This gives you access to the online versions of word, excel etc.

colirv

I suspect on Windows 10 it's just a question of clicking on the Mail app installed as standard. I've not tried it as I'm happy with Thunderbird!
Colin

Ray

Yes, it is, though I don't use it as I use the full version of Outlook.
Ray
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.