Internet drops out

Started by camdave, Jan 01, 2016, 08:22:42

Previous topic - Next topic

camdave

Happy new year to all !!

Over the past few weeks my internet connection drops out randomly. Everything might be fine for a few days then there are repeated disconnects.
I have tried two different routers, my signal in the house is fine and my download and upload speeds have been consistent for some time.
I have not checked the router stats as I am not familiar with the checks necessary. My connection is ADSL2+.

Any ideas on how I should proceed to try to resolve this irritating scenario ?

Steve

If you can post your router stats , it may give us some clues.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

camdave

Hi Steve

Not sure if this gives all the figures required;

Mode:   ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type:   ATM
Link Power State:   L0

Downstream   Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):   On   On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):   61   65
Attenuation (0.1 dB):   240   97
Output Power (0.1 dBm):   0   123
Attainable Rate (Kbps):   19196   1136

Path 0       Path 1   
   Downstream   Upstream   Downstream   Upstream
Rate (Kbps):   14333

Steve

My impression from those stats is that they're not too bad , the adsl router implies a downstream sync of 19k may be attainable, yours is at 14333. The minimum snr margin on adsl2+ is 3 yours is 6.1 I'm guessing.

So what's causing the instability, you've tried a different router so it's likely to be either interference either your side of the master socket or external , you can only affect the former.

Bad things for interference are faulty filters, extension sockets and bell wire remaining connected.

Not sure what type of master socket you have or if it's accessible

If you want to look further try connecting directly to the test socket behind the master socket face plate with a new filter and get your router stats on connection.

Lastly are the dropouts related to phone usage.
Steve
------------

camdave

Thanks for looking at the stats Steve. Speedtesters give around 11-12 Mbps download and 1.00 upload - this has been consistent for the past two years or so.

I will try changing the filter. I do have an extension cable through to my office which I used before connecting directly to the master socket - this is a legacy of when I had a wired router and we had our upstairs and downstairs desktops all on cat cable. I might try disconnecting that cable from the socket.

I will have a look at the master socket as you suggest. Phone usage does not affect the broadband.

Lastly, are there any checks that IDNet can carry out to test the line ? (without incurring a hefty charge from BT of course !)

Glenn

Another cause of interference this time of year are Christmas lights.
Glenn
--------------------

camdave

Just a quick update -

I decided to not change anything and see what happens. For the past two weeks I have had only one or two dis-connections which last for a few seconds or at most a minute or so; I have not needed to re-boot the router. My gut feeling is that the problems have been caused by external issues.

A few months ago I did buy a £20.00 Netgear router which works OK and is small and discreet but it seems my four year old TP-Link device is more stable although not so pleasing to look at.
I might replace it with a later model soon which should/may be even better.