FTTC surprise

Started by dudwell, Feb 06, 2016, 11:48:52

Previous topic - Next topic

dudwell

I'm astonished to discover (no-one told us anything) that my sleepy village exchange has been upgraded to FTTC and that my cabinet is one of those enabled!

At present with IDNet on a Lite-ADSL package, download speed usually about 7 Mbps.

IDNet's availability checker says:-

IDNet FTTC Broadband is available on 01580 860xxx and your estimated download speed is between 33Mbps and 49Mbps and upload speed is between 7Mbps and 11Mbps .

I already have a 10 month old Billion BiPAC 7800NXL Triple WAN Wireless 'N' 3G/4G LTE ADSL2+/Fibre Broadband Router.
Shall I need something additional? Shall I be able to configure it myself?

The contract has to be yearly and there's a connection fee but are there any other downsides?

Steve

You'll need a modem via Openreach or a self install i.e. off Ebay i.e. Huaweii or ECI depending on you cabinet chipset, we can probably find that out if you wish to proceed. The router has a WAN port for the PPPoE connection to the modem , configuration is fairly straightforward . Downsides - well it costs more as a basic package and you'll almost certainly download more, the others you've mentioned
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

dudwell

Thank you Steve. If you could find out the cabinet chipset and perhaps make specific recommendations as to the modem I'd be very grateful.

As to the cost, I pay £16.50 + VAT already so the basic FTTC package won't be any more, unless I'm missing something. I've exceeded my 50Gb allowance just once when my daughter stayed for a week. I've a bit of headroom and in any case I'm fortunate in not having to worry about a few pounds  :)

Steve

I used the 'other method ' to find out my cabinet chipset  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm#pcp  I may be wrong but I think the latest cabinets are all Huawei which utilises a Broadcom chipset, the ECI cabinets - Infineon. You can buy either modem off Ebay , in theory the Huawei HG612 should work on either but there were issues awhile ago with ECI modems on a Broadcom chipset cabinet. Openreach in theory are supposed to supply a compatible modem but since self install has arrived I'm not sure how the end user is supposed to choose.

Usage tends to increase  for example, say your watching a streamed video, a lot more data will have been downloaded and cached than with adsl2+ should you decide you don't wish to watch anymore at some point before the end.

I use a Vigor 130 modem (Infineon chipset) but I wouldn't recommend it on a Huawei FTTC cabinet.
Steve
------------

Clive

Quote from: dudwell on Feb 06, 2016, 14:29:30

I've exceeded my 50Gb allowance just once when my daughter stayed for a week. I've a bit of headroom and in any case I'm fortunate in not having to worry about a few pounds  :)

I don't know how they do it!  I have a Plusnet connection downstairs and my son and his family exceeded my 10Gb allowance by nearly £100 over Christmas.  I've stumped up for unlimited bandwidth now.   ::)  In London he's on Sky Fibre and they've throttled his download speed to 10Mb/s. 

MisterW

Openreach are no longer supplying modems since the beginning of this year.

Gary

Damned, if you do damned if you don't

MisterW

Typical BT, Just when you thought you knew what they were doing, they change the date :slap:

dudwell

Having spent a ridiculous amount of time studying various options I've decided on the easiest: to take up IDNet's Fibre Lite plan.

I don't want a two box arrangement – connecting my existing Billion router to a VDSL modem – because it adds a power supply/cable/box/ethernet cable to the general clutter.

I'll eBay my 10 month old Billion BiPAC 7800NXL, not expecting to get much for it.

I'll put up with the irritating £6/month surcharge for not taking IDNet's Standard phone package because I'm perfectly content with BT and our phone usage is minimal. I'll accept the none too generous 50Gb allowance.

Just one thing remains undecided: should I buy IDNet's suggested Billion 8800NL router despite many comments that wifi performance is poor or should I go for something else? I'm tempted by the Thomson TG589VN v3 VDSL/ADSL2+ WiFi Router - not because it's cheaper but because I've had good service from Thomson routers in the past and (daft reason) it looks more handsome than the Billion. It's favoured by another respected ISP but unfortunately there are a couple of really bad reviews.

Comments welcome as always!

colirv

I don't know how much performance you're after, but I've been very happy with my Netgear WNR2200 - £35 from Argos.
Colin

dudwell

Thanks colirv but unless I'm misunderstanding something (it often happens!) the WNR2200 requires a VDSL modem to be connected in order to use fibre. Just the same as my existing Billion BiPAC 7800NXL which is so confusingly described as a Fibre Broadband Router.

Due to the array of stuff I have connected to a single 13A power socket (desk lamp, standard lamp, laptop, printer, router and DECT phone) I really want an all-in-one VDSL modem router rather than adding another box with its power supply, lead and ethernet cable.

Terryphi

Quote from: dudwell on Feb 08, 2016, 19:46:34

Just one thing remains undecided: should I buy IDNet's suggested Billion 8800NL router despite many comments that wifi performance is poor or should I go for something else?

I bought a Billion 8800NL when I upgraded to fibre last year. Stability and general performance have been excellent and in my home the wifi performance is as good as other brands I have used (Netgear, Thomson, TP-Link.) The Billion has a broadcom chipset so is compatible with Huawei cabinets.

dudwell

Thanks Terryphi, that's encouraging as I've placed the order for Fibre Lite complete with Billion 8800NL and a switch to IDNet's standard phone package.

Polchraine

Quote from: dudwell on Feb 08, 2016, 19:46:34
Having spent a ridiculous amount of time studying various options I've decided on the easiest: to take up IDNet's Fibre Lite plan.

I don't want a two box arrangement – connecting my existing Billion router to a VDSL modem – because it adds a power supply/cable/box/ethernet cable to the general clutter.

I'll eBay my 10 month old Billion BiPAC 7800NXL, not expecting to get much for it.

I'll put up with the irritating £6/month surcharge for not taking IDNet's Standard phone package because I'm perfectly content with BT and our phone usage is minimal. I'll accept the none too generous 50Gb allowance.

Just one thing remains undecided: should I buy IDNet's suggested Billion 8800NL router despite many comments that wifi performance is poor or should I go for something else? I'm tempted by the Thomson TG589VN v3 VDSL/ADSL2+ WiFi Router - not because it's cheaper but because I've had good service from Thomson routers in the past and (daft reason) it looks more handsome than the Billion. It's favoured by another respected ISP but unfortunately there are a couple of really bad reviews.

Comments welcome as always!

In another thread you mention your router is currently plugged into an extension socket.   That is normally fine for ADSL variants however VDSL can be a little more fussy and susceptible to noise.    I would suggest plugging the modem in at teh main master as close as possible to the incoming line and the run Cat5e to your study and the router.
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

dudwell

Thank you Polchraine but the Billion 8800NL is an all-in-one modem and router combined. I'll try it in both the master socket and the more convenient extension socket. The line between master and extension must be pretty good because I get about 7Mbps on ADSL Max with my current router plugged into the latter. Also my CPR Callblocker works perfectly plugged into the extension despite dire warnings that it shouldn't be!

I'll report back in due course after the "committed delivery date" of 29 Feb.

Steve

Check with the engineer as I believe the standard install of socket and filters will make the extension suitable only for a landline connection
Steve
------------

dudwell

I'm assured by Support that FTTC is a self-install job nowadays. The IDNet-supplied and pre-configured 8800NL simply plugs in to the filter just like my existing ADSL router. No engineer visit ought to be needed.

We shall see! :fingers:

Terryphi

Quote from: dudwell on Feb 17, 2016, 16:21:02
I'm assured by Support that FTTC is a self-install job nowadays. The IDNet-supplied and pre-configured 8800NL simply plugs in to the filter just like my existing ADSL router. No engineer visit ought to be needed.

We shall see! :fingers:

I did a FTTC self install to a filter connected to an extension just as I had done with my ADSL router. It all works perfectly.

dudwell

Quote from: Terryphi on Feb 17, 2016, 16:40:12
I did a FTTC self install to a filter connected to an extension just as I had done with my ADSL router. It all works perfectly.

Exactly as I hope (and expect)!

dudwell

Quote from: Terryphi on Feb 17, 2016, 16:40:12

The same here. Easy-peasy :) and it's working perfectly with download speed of 33Mbps. Wifi strength, measured crudely by counting bars on my Kindle Fire at several locations, appears slightly better than with the previous router.

dudwell

Two questions following my recent move to FTTC:-

1. Upload speed of about 1.75Mbps seems low. Perhaps it doesn't matter since I seldom upload anything?

2. I had thoughts of changing the wireless channel because router is currently on 6. Four neighbours are on 6 and five are on 11. Commonsense suggests a change to channel 1 but when I attempt to access the router pages by entering 192.168.1.254 the result is "The webpage is not available". Could it be that IDNet has disabled access to the pre-configured Billion 8800NL router in order to discourage tinkering?

Steve

I guess the question with the upload is what speeds are you capable of and if less than expected is the extension interfering with throughput. BT do supply a 40/2 connection but I believe the minimum with Idnet is 40/10.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwchecker.htm

The link should give some idea of expected speeds.

I wonder if Idnet have changed the default web access address for the Billion perhaps worth a check, a factory reset should return it to defaults.
Steve
------------

B52

Access to the Billion 8800NL is by entering 192.168.1.254:8888      (Dont forget the colon : before the 8888)
User name  is  admin and the password is the same as your login to Idnet

That was from Idnet  2 weeks ago when I upgraded.

dudwell

It works, thanks B52.

Another mystery. A couple of weeks ago four neighbouring networks were on channel 6, five were on channel 11. My Billion 8800NL arrived set to channel 6 so today I thought to change it to channel 1 but I find that the four who were on 6 have beaten me to it and they are now all on 1.

Seems odd. I can scarcely believe that my neighbours are so technologically adept. Or could it be that BT Hubs automatically seek out the optimum channel?

Steve

They've got their WiFi set to auto channel
Steve
------------