I have sinned!

Started by dudwell, Feb 01, 2016, 13:22:05

Previous topic - Next topic

dudwell

I've broken one of the fundamental Laws of Computing: "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

For years I've plugged my router into the extension phone socket conveniently sited in my study. Connection speed (speedtest.net) almost always an adequate 6.96 Mbps on my ADSL Max line.

On a whim I transferred router to the inconveniently placed master socket in a bedroom. Speed instantly fell to 1.66 Mbps. Alarmed, I immediately returned router to the usual location only to find speed was 1.46 Mbps and it's been like that for a few hours.

I suppose the two disconnections have caused the exchange to "think" the line is unstable and it's dropped my profile?

Do I have to wait up to 10 days for things to recover? Is there anything I can do or should I ask support for help?

Steve

In theory it should recover quite quickly if there's a big difference between downstream profile and sync, just check you've got the same connections i.e. filter and cable. I guess the question is why, extensions do cause problems i.e bell wire and interference,. Not sure how you made the disconnection but in theory power down the modem before disconnecting the broadband link.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

dudwell

Thanks Steve, it's near enough back to normal at 6.94 Mbps already, I needn't have worried!

Clive