Throughput & Packet Loss Issues - 07/04/2016

Started by zappaDPJ, Apr 07, 2016, 14:09:38

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

IDNet are aware of the problem which started at around 4.00am this morning and OpenReach are working on a fix.

At the moment I can only see two connections affected, one of which is mine.

zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Simon.
--

Ray

Just noticed that mine is as well.  :( My 12 months on fibre is up on the 17th of this month, I'm seriously considering moving to Plusnet at the moment.  :-\
Ray
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Simon on Apr 07, 2016, 14:16:44
17th?

Probably ;D

Fixed! (The typo not the problem which is getting worse by the minute.)
zap
--------------------

nowster

I see:

Service: Broadband
Updated: 2016-04-07 12:50:49
State: Sub-Optimal Service
Message: PACKET LOSS AND LATENCY We have had an update from our wholesalers to advise that their engineers have identified an issue with data travelling over portions of their network. This is being seen as packet loss and high latency. They have identified a fibre break and are currently working to restore service.

sobranie

zappaDPJ

I guess the OpenReach engineer got lost as this clearly didn't get fixed today.

zap
--------------------

psp83

This is an update from Zen. So it should be the same for IDNET and other ISPs.

-----

The issues seen are caused by a supplier fibre break which occurred at approximately 4am, and are affecting multiple ISPs, resulting in performance issues and packet loss. The fibre break has been located to the city of London, and supplier sewer engineers have assessed the damage, and have now pulled through fresh fibre. They have now started the cleaning and preparation of the fibre, ready for reconnection which is due to start around 1AM. The nature of a fibre break means that this may take a number of hours until completion.

At the time of writing, performance issues are limited to fibre and DSL customers only, following network changes which were made at approximately 17:30 to alleviate congestion and improve performance. We can confirm that we are actively rate limiting services to ensure that all Zen customers can maintain a level of service.

------

My connection on Zen has been very bad today.

Hope the update helps :)

zappaDPJ

Quote from: psp83 on Apr 07, 2016, 22:54:33
Hope the update helps :)

It does and thanks for posting Paul. I wish IDNet would traffic shape so that I could get a slice of the pie.
zap
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Apr 08, 2016, 00:10:13
It does and thanks for posting Paul. I wish IDNet would traffic shape so that I could get a slice of the pie.

No problem.

The rate limiting they are doing isn't doing much, haven't really been able to use the connection much today...

My connection has been limited to 15 Mbps down, I normally get around 55 Mbps down.

zappaDPJ

According to the OpenReach speed test I'm getting 2.77 Mbps which should be enough to stream a film but in reality I can barely browse the web.
zap
--------------------

Gary

Getting a happy 57Mbps down and 18Mbps up, Last night I was back to 67Mbps for a while but having retested its dropped this morning again. I did see that zen have major issues on TBB.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Gary

Back up to 67.7Mbps now speeds have been much better since G.inp was enabled on ECI cabs in the last few weeks.

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Apr 08, 2016, 09:55:51
Getting a happy 57Mbps down and 18Mbps up, Last night I was back to 67Mbps for a while but having retested its dropped this morning again. I did see that zen have major issues on TBB.

The slow speed post on TBB is different to the issue yesterday. They've been having single threaded issues for months now and still trying to find a fix for it, I don't think they are even 100% sure what the cause is yet.

My connection is one of them that is having this problem and generally my line has been acting up since Christmas and no one can seem to work out what's wrong with my line, the fault that was on the line was fixed over Christmas (broken cable at the cab).

Quote from: Gary on Apr 08, 2016, 11:48:54
Back up to 67.7Mbps now speeds have been much better since G.inp was enabled on ECI cabs in the last few weeks.

What modem are you using ? I'm not sure if g.inp is enabled on mine yet as I've had 2 lots of interleaving applied to my line in 1 week  >:(

I'm on an ECI cab with an ECI /r modem

Gary

Quote from: psp83 on Apr 08, 2016, 12:09:56
I'm on an ECI cab with an ECI /r modem
ECI modem, the ECI modems like the ECI cabs can do G.inp on the downstream only. Mine was done last week or the week before. I was at about 62Mops then noticed the increase after my router log showed the net had been down and reconnected. From the look of the Kitz forum ECI modems seems to generally gain more speed, I guess like for like was the way BTOR intended the modems to be handed out. What's the issue with single thread?

zappaDPJ

It looks like the problem was resolved at around 5.00am this morning. According to the BT Wholesale test I'm back up to 53.07 downstream with 19.75 latency. Not fantastic for an 80/20 FTTC connection but I've told by a number of engineers that the infrastructure around these isolated parts is not fantastic either.
zap
--------------------

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Apr 08, 2016, 16:55:49What's the issue with single thread?

From 8am - 11pm single thread speeds are between 1 Mbps - 11 Mbps. Sometimes this brings the multi thread speeds down as well.

Zen are saying its a supplier issue and one of their support team has the same issue where his home (Zen) connection.

So yeah, it's not that great on Zen at the moment :(

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Apr 08, 2016, 18:53:50
It looks like the problem was resolved at around 5.00am this morning. According to the BT Wholesale test I'm back up to 53.07 downstream with 19.75 latency. Not fantastic for an 80/20 FTTC connection but I've told by a number of engineers that the infrastructure around these isolated parts is not fantastic either.
ive lost 10Mbps off my top speed my single thread is all over the place too. Seems to still be lots of packet loss as well.

Gary

Seems G.inp has now been pulled from some ECI lines which may explain the loss of about 9Mbps since I was given G.inp (67Mbps down to 55Mbps) and the doubling of my Latency, 8ms pings to 20ms now which ruins some live online gaming sessions. G.inp is removed and interleave is then put on the downstream.  :rant2:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17446.0.html

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Apr 10, 2016, 08:11:15
Seems G.inp has now been pulled from some ECI lines which may explain the loss of about 9Mbps since I was given G.inp (67Mbps down to 55Mbps) and the doubling of my Latency, 8ms pings to 20ms now which ruins some live online gaming sessions. G.inp is removed and interleave is then put on the downstream.  :rant2:
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,17446.0.html

I give up with my line, it does what it wants, 60 % time it works perfectly fine and then 40% it throws its toys out the pram and messes me around.

Currently gone from 10ms latency, 55 Mbps to 35ms latency and 40 Mbps... Just leaving it to do whatever it wants now as I'm fed up moaning and complaining about the bloody thing lol

Gary

Quote from: psp83 on Apr 13, 2016, 18:44:42
I give up with my line, it does what it wants, 60 % time it works perfectly fine and then 40% it throws its toys out the pram and messes me around.

Currently gone from 10ms latency, 55 Mbps to 35ms latency and 40 Mbps... Just leaving it to do whatever it wants now as I'm fed up moaning and complaining about the bloody thing lol
Mines back to pre G.inp levels 63Mbps down and 18Mbps up with latency of 7ms. I'm happy with that now if only BTOR would just leave the damn thing alone  ;D

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Apr 14, 2016, 08:30:53
Mines back to pre G.inp levels 63Mbps down and 18Mbps up with latency of 7ms. I'm happy with that now if only BTOR would just leave the damn thing alone  ;D

I don't play games online anymore so the latency isn't really an issue as longs it doesn't cause problems with Skype.

As for speed, anything 40 Mbps + is fine for me as all I normally use the connection for is streaming and work stuff.

I still haven't got G.INP enabled on mine it seems, I don't know why.

Gary

Quote from: psp83 on Apr 14, 2016, 09:15:45

I still haven't got G.INP enabled on mine it seems, I don't know why.
G.inp has been stopped on lines that seem or may me problematic, BTOR updated the cabinet firmware on ECI to  0xb206 which has caused some issues with modems that don't fully support downstream G.inp (ECI can only do downstream) so its been pulled and at some point I imagine there will be a mark 2 version.

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Apr 14, 2016, 10:30:16
G.inp has been stopped on lines that seem or may me problematic, BTOR updated the cabinet firmware on ECI to  0xb206 which has caused some issues with modems that don't fully support downstream G.inp (ECI can only do downstream) so its been pulled and at some point I imagine there will be a mark 2 version.

My line is problematic full stop  :laugh: :P